Nitrates after tank swap

kanshi

I just had to do a tank swap due to seam issues on my old tank.
New tank, new sump, 100% new water, new sand rinsed to clear, moved live rock into buckets of tank water then straight into new.
Tank seems great all fish are doing great.
Took water to get tested. Nitrates and phosphates are high. I know the phosphates can be leaching from the live rock, but why are the nitrates high.
Thanks

Welcome to Reef Central. Did you test for nitrites? If they are present, then nitrates will show a false high.

You might have had some bacteria die off on transfer

I wouldn’t stress too much
I’m sure in time the tank will re balance

I just bought and moved a 5yr old tank, no fish or coral. After setting up and testing, I found nitrates to be very high (160). Everything else was good. What is my best option to reduce nitrates so I can add fish?

I just bought and moved a 5yr old tank, no fish or coral. After setting up and testing, I found nitrates to be very high (160). Everything else was good. What is my best option to reduce nitrates so I can add fish?
Nitrates will not affect fish, they are more of a concern with corals and potential nuisance algae issues. Water changes will help to bring the nitrates down.

What is in the tank. Any animals?
With no fish or corals you could change all the water.
If you changed half it would go to 80. It will rebound a bit after a few hours and go up some again.
Changing 1/2 every day will get you to 15-20 after 4 days.
Make sure the new water is the right salinity and heat it before you do the water change.

What is in the tank. Any animals?
With no fish or corals you could change all the water.
If you changed half it would go to 80. It will rebound a bit after a few hours and go up some again.
Changing 1/2 every day will get you to 15-20 after 4 days.
Make sure the new water is the right salinity and heat it before you do the water change.
Sod all that work, get dosing vodka , it works a treat and will save not only a small fortune but a lot of messing imo

Back