NOPOX killing fish

reefman1234

Hello reefing community.
About one and a half years into my reefing mission i ran into some high nitrates. i tries large water changes, not feeding as much cleaning off all algae but to my disappointment this all failed. So i did some digging and found the NOPOX could do the job, so i orders some and place the correct amount in my tank and before to long my nitrates where going down. Then i did the second does and it killed all life in my aquarium. Why????

It is fairly easy to overdose NOPOX in an aquarium and kill all the inhabitants. Sorry about your losses. :cry:

Did you do full doses? Not sure where you bought it from but Bulk Reef Supply has a dosing guide on the product page to start with half doses

Dosage Guide:

We highly recommend starting with half the recommended dose for your aquarium type and using high-quality Nitrate and Phosphate test kits during implementation. Keeping a steady dosing regime is key, and daily dosing is highly encouraged. We prefer to use a dosing pump system for daily dosing, which keeps the doses very precise and reliable.

It also mentions to not overdose so I’m thinking you may have overdosed (even if it was slightly) and that resulted in the death to the inhabitants

What is all this voodoo stuff that I have never heard of... sounds like NOPOX is the quick way to NOFISH.

If Nitrate is high there is a reason... fixing the cause will lower the nitrate. Yes, algal blooms can be hard to stop and can overran the nitrogen cycle, but if cleaning the rock/sand and doing water changes isn't fixing the issue, then something else is wrong.

What is all this voodoo stuff that I have never heard of... sounds like NOPOX is the quick way to NOFISH.

If Nitrate is high there is a reason... fixing the cause will lower the nitrate. Yes, algal blooms can be hard to stop and can overran the nitrogen cycle, but if cleaning the rock/sand and doing water changes isn't fixing the issue, then something else is wrong.

Really not Voodoo it is just a carbon source so it is probably just vinegar, glucose or some type of alcohol.. Works like dosing vodka or vinegar to increase bacteria populations. Of coarse bacteria also need phosphate and nitrogen source as well as carbon.
You need some way of removing bacteria like a skimmer. Carbon dosing was all the rage a while back and is basically how allot of the bacteria driven system like Zeovit work..

The real problem is bacteria can also suck oxygen out of the water if you get a bloom from over dosing and kill the fish.

Really not Voodoo it is just a carbon source so it is probably just vinegar, glucose or some type of alcohol.. Works like dosing vodka or vinegar to increase bacteria populations. Of coarse bacteria also need phosphate and nitrogen source as well as carbon.
You need some way of removing bacteria like a skimmer. Carbon dosing was all the rage a while back and is basically how allot of the bacteria driven system like Zeovit work..

The real problem is bacteria can also suck oxygen out of the water if you get a bloom from over dosing and kill the fish.
People do this recipe and call it DIY NOPOX. No idea if it's the actual NOPOX recipe but supposedly you can switch between the two without adjustments.

50% vinegar
37.5% vodka(80 proof)
12.5% RODI

Was being facetious :cool:

Not a fan of lighting a fire under a bacterial bloom (20 years ago or today) to band-aid a bigger issue. NOPOX is the quick way to NOOX

Did you do full doses? Not sure where you bought it from but Bulk Reef Supply has a dosing guide on the product page to start with half doses

It also mentions to not overdose so I’m thinking you may have overdosed (even if it was slightly) and that resulted in the death to the inhabitants
No i ddidn't thankyou

Thankyou

Was being facetious :cool:

Not a fan of lighting a fire under a bacterial bloom (20 years ago or today) to band-aid a bigger issue. NOPOX is the quick way to NOOX

Sad but band-aids seem to be a huge thing now. Marketing and brainwashing run rampant on so called easy fixes especially on social media. People would rather believe some marketing YouTube video than learn something. A portion of the hobby wants instant results and are to lazy to learn anything. I mean look at vibrant and how big it got. No one knew what was in it and people did not care. Company even lied what was in it and it turned out to be a algicide. They were even breaking the law shipping it.

Another example a while back for me was someone asked for help on cyano, I typed up a page of info to help him out. One guy right after my post says I use Chemiclean 5 times on my tank and it worked all 5 times. I was like obviously it didn't because you had to treat 5 times and never corrected the original problem. Chemiclean is Erythromycin a broad spectrum antibiotic even though the company claimed for years it was not, so how can you trust them. But why would anyone put a chemical that affects bacteria and might hurt your biological system. What do you think the thread starter did? Stuff like this is why I post so little. I feel like I am bashing my head against the wall sometimes.

That said I do think carbon dosing can be a tool if you know what you are doing and do it correctly. The problem I see with directions on the bottle is they are general directions and do not fit everyone's situation. Also most people do not want to learn the science behind it or even the basics.

It is really hard in this hobby for a new person with information overload. Also the first videos they see are from Companies like BRS which are actually marketing videos made to convince you to buy a product. Not that there is not some good info in some of their videos but they are a retailer first.

This hobby used to me more about biology and learning and still are some out there. I mean these are animals and we should give them the best care we can if we decide to keep them.

By the way BeanAnimal it is good to see some old timers like you still in the hobby and posting..

Last edited:
Another example a while back for me was someone asked for help on cyano, I typed up a page of info to help him out. One guy right after my post says I use Chemiclean 5 times on my tank and it worked all 5 times. I was like obviously it didn't because you had to treat 5 times and never corrected the original problem.
Lol 😆

This hobby used to me more about biology and learning and still are some out there. I mean these are animals and we should give them the best care we can if we decide to keep them.

By the way BeanAnimal it is good to see some old timers like you still in the hobby and posting..
Agree

About the biology or that he’s an old timer? :ROFLMAO:

I’m not a fan of adding random chemicals from companies into my aquarium unless they insure my inhabitants for complete replacement. Most chemicals reef inhabitants need are available cheap.

Personally I am a big proponent of ozone when carbon dosing. Probably saved my last aquarium numerous times. For the most part I’ve settled on using just vinegar for carbon dosing. Seems to have forgiveness.

Hello reefing community.
About one and a half years into my reefing mission i ran into some high nitrates. i tries large water changes, not feeding as much cleaning off all algae but to my disappointment this all failed. So i did some digging and found the NOPOX could do the job, so i orders some and place the correct amount in my tank and before to long my nitrates where going down. Then i did the second does and it killed all life in my aquarium. Why????
How much of nopox you add?

Back