Normal smell for aquarium ?

candymancan

New to reefs.salt but nit to fishkeeping.. I know the smells of freshwater from bad to good. and Good for fresh is an earthy smell.

For salt im unsure. My tank has been running for s little over 2 months. All water perams are fine. Ph 8.2. Ammonia 0. nitrite 0. nitrates 5ppm. Phosphates are 0 to .25 (api kit doesnt measurs under .25 so take that reading with a grain of salt. Calcium is 520. Alk is 11.. Magnesium last i checked was 1300.

I noticed after 2 weeks or so the tank has this particular oder that i cant describe. It isnt a rotten stench.. or any odd smells from my denitrate reactor.. Its just a nasty smell.. When i change 30% of the water thr smell goes away but then comes back a few weeks later. Yet all my fish and corals are doing great.. I havent had a single fish or coral die on me so i dunno.

In petco their coral tank smells the same.. And i havent really smelled the tanks at local reef stores.. Maybe i should if i have time after work today.

I use carbon ina filter sock and alot of it bout 2-3 handfulls and i just replaced it too.

Sorry i wish the internet had smell lol but this is all i have. All i know is its gone after s water change but comes back a few weeks later.. yet params fish and coral are all fine.

Oh and maybe its this.. but my rocks have a little algae on them.. Some hair but not alot mainly just regular algae.. I do have a little cyano.. I pulled a rock out and smelled it snd it seems the smell is coming from the rock .

I wouldn't say my tank has a smell but if I really smell it there's a beachy smell to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It is hard to smell anything from mine unless you get really close to the water level. It's a seaweed-ish water smell. Very very subtle tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my tank is 5 years old and if just smells like the beach smells. Normal odor from various marine bacteria and algae. If it's a nasty, foul, smell like rotten meat or sulfur, that is a product of unstable and a not-yet-mature biofilter and/or anaerobic material. If I even spill a drop of skimmate the entire house smells like sulfur for the rest of the day. Highly anaerobic fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea it smells like vegitation.. Maybe seaweed like smell. My friend smelled it and said it smells like sushie seaweed lol. When i do a water chsnge it smells beachy but then changes to this seaweed sushie paper smell a few weeks later

Im just not familier with the smells of a marine tank.

I pulled a rock out and smelled the rock and the rock deff has that same odor i think its from the algae on it. Doesnt smell like sulfur ive smelled that before and thats not it. Could the smell be coming from the algae ? I just have some coraline. and mostly this green algae that looks like coraline. A little cyano in some spots but nothing too major

Last edited:
Back