Nothing I do is working for my ph probe

AlexR

Premium Member
I have a reef angel plus controller. I have the on-board PH probe and the PH probe expansion module for it. Along with the salinity module, water level module, leak detector module and 2 temp probes.

I just can't get the PH probes to work. Right now my probe is reading at 6.1PH!!

My corals and fish are all ok and doing fine. The corals aren't opened up all the way but they are not dying and do open partially. I'm sure my Alk/Calcium need a little work. And maybe my PH is low, but not that low.
I just hooked up a calcium reactor (korallin c-1502) today to help stabilize my Alk/Cal.

My tank is almost 5 years running.

I have a ATS, phosban reactor running GFO, ceramic bio-filter block and skimmer.
So far phosphates are undetectable, nitrates at 2.5. Calcium 380. KH 8.

Test kits read ph at 8.2 or so. But I have no idea what my real PH is. I have an air stone in refugium with an outside air source. Leave windows open. More then adequate water flow and water surface movement.

I have brand new ph probes. Sometimes after I calibrate with the 7 and 10 solutions and put it into my tank I get no reading at all. Then I take the probe out and dip it in water out my tank and it works... I was scared I may have stray current but no shock. So I added a grounding probe. Same results... Why the heck does the ph probe sometimes not read at all only when in my tank?!? I tested using the calibration numbers, it read 0 and then jumped up to regular numbers when in water out of the tank/refugium. Then when I do get a probe to read while in the tank it read incredibly low.
Man this is so frustrating. I just want to know my PH but can't using the handful of probes I now own.

Is it possibly the reef angel itself? It's been kind of unreliable to put it nicely. The PH expansion is not working it seems (just got it this week). Half the stuff I get from reef angel needs to be retuned or replaced. Half works fine.

Or is it something I may be doing wrong?
I have tried isolating the ph wire and even throwing on a ferrite ring. I'm just out of ideas...
looking at my 6.13ph level ****es me off.

I would like to add, the probe reads my salt water correctly out of the tank.
If I put tank water in a small container and put the probe in it the reading immediately starts going up to 8.2. And that's within a second of being in the tank or refugium.

So I just opened all doors and windows and the ph probe went up to 7.0.

Is it really possible my Carbon Dioxide is that bad in my house?!?

try removing the salinity probe and see if the ph reading changes.
salinity probe electric pulses can affect ph probe reading.

try removing the salinity probe and see if the ph reading changes.
salinity probe electric pulses can affect ph probe reading.

Thanks for the tip. I just unplugged the salinity probe and it made no difference.
Ph is hovering at 6.95 as I type this out, with the salinity probe out.
I have fans blowing fresh air in/inside air out, all windows and doors open.

Again, when I use the probe on the same water out of tank it reads good...

Actually it just dropped lower to 6.9..

Sorry. I am just tooo frustrated with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a quick pic I just took of a piece my tank.

Correct me if I am wrong but if my PH were below 7, would everything not be dead?

694610d0f41996cec97a90512f84437c.jpg

Just for reference.
My KH just tested at 8-9
My calcium just tested at ~400

My magnesium tested very high at around 1800.

how old is the ph probe?
ph probe has a limited useful life. not sure exactly how long, but probably a couple years. double junction type ph probe lasts longer.

if probe is relatively new, then it can be caused by stray voltage in your tank. turn off your devices (pump, heater, etc) one at a time to isolate what is causing the problem.

Just found the issue causing the ph probe incorrect readings.
The temp probe!!!

Soon as I unplugged the temp probe POOF"” ph raised to 8.1.

Back