Oct. 10th TBRC Meeting

Mrs Postal

The Oct. TBRC meeting will be in Wesley Chapel. Starting at 6pm. The address is 7546 Pine Lands Drive, WC, 33544. We have a 3 tank clown/anemone system, a 34 gal Solana seahorse tank, a 50 gal divided clown/anemone tank and many, many other critters in various tanks/places around the house. You do not need to be a member to attend so please come and bring a food item you can share w/ everyone. Sodas, water will be provided by the club and we will have an educational presenter from FWC. More info from Zach regarding how to submit questions for the presenter.

Our guest presenter for October is Nancy Sheridan, SW Regional Biologist for the Division of Marine Fisheries Management of FWC. She'll be talking about Marine Fisheries Management, including the collection of the ornamental species!

If you have any questions about the collection of marine ornamental species in Florida (FWC guidelines and restrictions here) - post them here and I'll pass them along to her for October!

now_what.jpeg

I have been asked to make Sugar Free Peach Schnapps Ice cream and I found a great recipe so we'll have some really, really good ice cream at the meeting.

Not sure if it is precisely within the topic of discussion, but I seem to get a different answer from everyone I ask about the collection of mangrove propogules, either floating or on the beach - I'd love to hear the "official" word from FWC.

Not sure if it is precisely within the topic of discussion, but I seem to get a different answer from everyone I ask about the collection of mangrove propogules, either floating or on the beach - I'd love to hear the "official" word from FWC.

Passed on!

Our two questions for Nancy next week:

I've heard that it is legal to keep any corals that arrive as "œhitchhikers" on cultured live rock (e.g. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/), is this true for Atlantic hard corals like Orbicella, Diploria, etc? If it is, what documentation should a hobbyist have to prove they acquired such corals legitimately?

If you have a question for FWC biologist Nancy Sheridan at next week's meeting post it here!

Hey if anyone wants to stop by Drysdale before the meeting, you need to let them know or they won't stay open longer (normally close at 4pm Saturday)! Find the TBRC Facebook discussion and post your interest!

Question for Nancy: Under FWC guidelines what licenses/permits are required to sell aquacultured fish and corals? Are they necessary only on a commercial scale or even for the occasional sale of aquacultured livestock?

Question for Nancy: Under FWC guidelines what licenses/permits are required to sell aquacultured fish and corals? Are they necessary only on a commercial scale or even for the occasional sale of aquacultured livestock?

Thanks! Passing along.

I was unable to make the meeting last night. Is it possible to get the answer to the question above posted for all to see?

It is a very long and complicated answer. Current regs are being reworked with the hobbyist in mind but right now the law doesn't really allow or not allow the private sale of corals. Without having the origin of every single piece that you sell(not where you purchased it where is it from on a receipt from a licenses wholesale or retailer) it isn't legal to sell or trade. Frags can be given away but no compensation(even trading) can be received. For people growing corals/fish etc., with the intent to sell, an aquaculture license would be the way to do so legally. $100/yr.

It is a very long and complicated answer. Current regs are being reworked with the hobbyist in mind but right now the law doesn't really allow or not allow the private sale of corals. Without having the origin of every single piece that you sell(not where you purchased it where is it from on a receipt from a licenses wholesale or retailer) it isn't legal to sell or trade. Frags can be given away but no compensation(even trading) can be received. For people growing corals/fish etc., with the intent to sell, an aquaculture license would be the way to do so legally. $100/yr.

Thanks for the info!

Going to get the exact guidelines from Nancy, including what permits/licenses are required for us hobbyists. I'll post it here as well as in a dedicated thread.

Back