Old School - Biocube 14g

Tahlequah

I am in the process of revitalizing my old bio cube. I am downgrading from a 30g tank. I built a custom 24 light led system in the hood, but technology has really changed in the past 8 or so years and I have an AI Prime light, but it is older and starts flickering when over 50%, so I am looking at what is out there in terms of lighting that may be a better option and not as hard on the budget as a new AI Prime. So, Thoughts?

My wife doesn't want me to remove the lid for noise and light reasons, so I am a bit limited. My AI prime is setting in the box that used to hold the original compact fluorescents. Don't worry, I wired up some fans for airflow to the AI prime.

14g biocube.jpg

Can’t really help you on lighting options as I’m still running metal halides😉

Hmm…it’s going to depend on what you want to keep.

Most LED bars are going to be too wide.

I run a SmatFarm 95w LED system on my Biocube 32, which would likely work for your tank but would likely need to keep it in the low range so you don’t blast everyone with too much light. (The spectrum is a little iffy but the 6 channel control is great for the price).

I don’t know the hood dimensions for height but perhaps one or two Noopsyche K7 Mini may fit in the hood.

I’ve heard relatively good things about NiCrew reef lights but personally not a fan. I have one of their regular lights and it’s just not my pick.

Honestly, any of the LED reef lights will probably work for that small of a tank, just the difference will be controlability and if your wanting coral, check out the par map (if they provide one) to see what the strength of the light is.

If you want to stick with name brand, check out the classifieds or your local club forums. There’s usually some awesome deals!

I’ll also tag @kharmaguru, @MtnDewMan, and @mtnbike101 for their thoughts

If I remember that kind of tank, I imagine you won't find anything to fit within that hood but compact flourescents. If you are willing to get rid of the hood then lots of options. Even hanging T5s over it would be good lighting on such a small tank, however that will 24" bulbs over a small tank. That small of a tank may be good with a Red Sea ReefLED 50.

Not sure what you are wanting to keep, but if just LPS in that small tank, compact flourescents would be fine (IMO), SPS a ReefLED or similar or even T5s.

I built a custom 24 light led system in the hood
Irresistible urge to buy shiny gadgets aside, you could update this with new diodes. What driver(s) you used would determine what functionality could be added.

I don't know if it's valid, but my concern would be that a hobby grade fixture would not tolerate your enclosed hood for it's intended lifetime. They all pretty much have fans for a reason...

Is it the Oceanic or Coralife? There's a Coralife retrofit LED hood though the spectrum looks suspect.

Coralife BioCube Size 14 & Size 16 Replacement LED Canopy

I also see someone has encorporated this fixture into a biocube 14.

Marine 3.0 Nano - Fluval USA
It is the Oceanic version. That Marine 3.0 Nano looks like it might work with ability to set it lower to the water. Right now my AI prime shoots a beam of light through the water, as you can kinda tell in the picture. I will give it a look!

It is the Oceanic version. That Marine 3.0 Nano looks like it might work with ability to set it lower to the water. Right now my AI prime shoots a beam of light through the water, as you can kinda tell in the picture. I will give it a look!
Not sure if you proceeded with this yet but I found this at steve's leds. Has options for both biocube versions.

BioCube 14 Turbo LED Upgrade

Back