open water certification

pyithar

hi. i'm planning to get the open water certification this year in koh tao. i've read that there're many dive shops on the island and i don't know which one to choose. it'd be great if you guys have any info about the dive shops on koh tao. another question is should i take the padi or ssi course? can i use the ssi certification to dive in places like komodo or raja ampat? or should i do open water with ssi and advanced with padi? thanks in advance. :)

As far as certification, the most important is always your final certification. If you're definitely getting Advanced, that's the card you'll be handing to dive centers when you go diving. I prefer PADI since it seems to be the most widely recognized worldwide.

As far as certification, the most important is always your final certification. If you're definitely getting Advanced, that's the card you'll be handing to dive centers when you go diving. I prefer PADI since it seems to be the most widely recognized worldwide.

+1

Open Water Diver is really the bare minimum IMO. Advanced gives you a much more complete skill set and helps you be a better diver. I'd also recommend the Deep Diver, Enriched Air Diver (Nitrox) and Peak Performance Buoyancy specialties.

thanks for the replies guys. i'll find a PADI dive shop and take both open water and advanced courses. i just hope i'm fit and healthy enough to go underwater. my stamina is not really great. :D

Pick a PADI dive center with a Course Director on staff of you can. That requires the highest level of trained instructors in the PADI system. Alternatively pick a 5 star PADO rated dive center.

Focus on underwater skills and safety for your first PADI specialty certifications after your Advanced Open Water certification such as underwater navigation, boat diving, night diving and bouyancy control, for example. Do a lot of shallow diving to refine your skills, e.g., 40 ft dives. Stay out of caves. Stay out of shipwrecks until you have over 100 dives and several relevant specialty certifications. Then only go with seasoned and trained wreck divers.

Enjoy your diving. It is a fabulous experience and FUN.

fab
PADI divemaster, master scuba diver , BSAC dive leader.

Last edited:
update: i've got the padi open water certification now. :D i took the course in koh tao, thailand. i did not have enough time for the advanced open water course though. i'll have to go back there again in a couple of months.

Back