Opinions; can I safely remove this brace in my stand?

sinful

Me and my father built this stand a couple years ago. It's 36" x 18" and at that time I wasn't thinking to much about access to the sump. My biggest gripe is the brace in the dead middle which makes working in the sump a pita. We built this stand like a tank and in my opinion I don't think removing it will have any effect, but before I do, just wanted to get you guys input. We used half lap joints?

Tank that will sit on top of it is 57g 36 x 18 x 20. 1/2" glass. Single brace in middle is the one I would like to remove. Thoughts?

Add one 2x4 across the top and one 2x4 down each side under the top brace to support the top board and then screw it all together...is what I would do

I have a 6 ft run with no center brace on my stand for a full opening of over 5' when I open both doors. But I agree that an additional 2x4 should be used since you notched the current one. Knowing its strength now would be difficult, and I wouldn't chance it. I used 2x8s along my 6' spans in the construction of my stand.

To easy, that's what I'll do then just for safe measure. I also picked up a cheap raised panel bit set and tried my hand at some raised panel cabinet doors using the router table. Used 1 x6 stock from lowes

To easy, that's what I'll do then just for safe measure. I also picked up a cheap raised panel bit set and tried my hand at some raised panel cabinet doors using the router table. Used 1 x6 stock from lowes

Those look really good....

Back