Orange macro algae?

reefmusic

Found this in a pool on a beach at low tide. Obviously had been washed out of where it lived further out in the water. I have not seen something of this colour before. Probably won't live in an aquarium, but I can hope. Any ideas what it is?

IMG_20240126_173120138.jpg

Very interesting. Where are you located again?

It almost looks gorgonian like but that may be because I’m trying to view on a phone screen with old eyes🤣

@vlangel ever seen this before?

Last edited:
I think that’s a good id. I’m curious how they survive in aquaria and how invasive they are. That’s a pretty cool looking hydroid.

Though if it is that…it seems like one should be careful handling barehanded depending on species

“Cn-140 FERN HYDROID, Pennaria tiarella

It is a bright pink hydroid with fern-like branchings that prefers higher salinity waters. Medusa buds develop along sides of hydranths. The knobby tentacles of Pennaria possess highly developed nematocysts that make them sting like fire when handled. Yet under a dissecting scope, their beauty is unsurpassed. Available June through October.

Each: $48.50”​

No, I have never seen anything quite like that but its very attractive. Some aquarist don't like hydroids because of their sting but I welcome anything if it's controllable.

Thank's everyone. I am aware of the stinging hydroids, we get them here too. I need to get the good camera out and try to get a macro closeup of those branches, but it definitely looks like the ID above could be correct.

OK, yes indeed, ID confirmed. Only a few of them are out, so hope the others are just recovering from the trauma of being washed ashore.

btw. this one doesn't sting. I handled it a lot as I washed some other green weed and much off it when I first picked it up.

IMG_6760.jpg

Back