Papyrus instead of Mangrove?

Gololf

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using a salt tolerant Papyrus instead of mangrove plants as the filtration for in my fuge?

I have some papyrus plants growing in my garden pond......they seem to just float on top ( prob because I just threw them in there..lol) and grow just fine. I also notice they have a very nice thick and dense root system growing in a mass.

Let me know what you think.

FL BOb

Papyrus doesnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t float, it sounds like what you have is Water Lettuce. None of the fresh water pond plants can tolerate salt water.

Hmmm

Hmmm

These plants come from a root ball (so to speak), and have a long stalk (1/4" dia x 2-3 feet long) that comes up to a spray of thin "stick" like leaves (all green) . This sure looks like Papyrus to me...I'll get a pic of it so you can check it out.

FL Bob

Papyrus

Papyrus

Cyperus Papyrus

Sounds like the description of Papyrus to me.
I can find no data which supports an ability to tolerate salt water. Any Botanic data I have come across make no mention of salt tolerance?

Sorry I haven't been much help, I've been keeping Papyrus in Koi ponds for years, but never attempted to place any in my Marine Aquariums.

cypa_pa2.jpg

Golath - I'm originally from FL Why not hit the beach and check out any dune plants you see? Maybe use soiless aquaponic medium and mesh pots for seaoats...or whatever else you pull up. Aquaponics supplies at Aquatic Ecosystems (aes.com) - they'll send you awesome 30,000 item catalogue, too! ;)

mellen said:
Maybe use soiless aquaponic medium and mesh pots for seaoats...or whatever else you pull up.

I don't know about down there, but up here it's illegal to uproot seaoats without permission of the owner. Gotta keep those sand dunes together! ;)
-Will

We have papyrus in our garden. I would love to try it if i knew how to frag them. Maybe i can think of making paper of them :rolleyes: lol

seaoats exploitaion

seaoats exploitaion

WILL - I hear you & agree totally, but mind, this is not a huge public forum (believe me, please). Most folks in this hobby are used to getting the gardeners' equivalent of "slips"; tiny but viable samples of coral, macroalgae, phyto/zoo-plankton/microarthropod cultures, even bacteria/in-fauna-flora DSB seeder samples...and fully agree with & understand why it is unethical , unnecessary, and just plain risky, wasteful, and uneconomical to acquire large colonies of ANYthing from the wild to place in our very artificial (no matter how well-managed) tank environments. Seaoats, IME, are more likely to be trampled down during peak beach season/winter tourist influx times in FL than for any other reason. Also, although I can't remember the names of these plants, there are at least three more equally tough, resilient, viable partially to fully emmersed lagoon/tidal zone/dune plants besides Mangroves that could work well as nutrient export plants for home aquaria (aquaponically-special soilless media). I strongly feel that thinking people, who are the ones who stay in this hobby, should (and want to) be responsible for the well-being of their captive specimens, and are already IMPACT conscious, but should be willing to try just about any natural system to assure the long term survival and "happiness" (for lack of an un-anthropomorphic phrase) of those involuntarily captive animals & plants. Ethics/morals are easily the most important aspect of this hobby; but how do we find the balance? Knowledge, research, experimentation within humane limits...that is the best we mortals can do, or, if you realize you don't have the time to dedicate to this task, move on to something equally fascinating, but not harmful to innocent creatures...Anyway, I thank you for making a very valid point in a public forum, and hope folks will think twice before yanking huge chunks of seaoats (anti-erosion plants) from our shores the world over...'cause you 'probly can't figure out how to make them live in yer 'fuge if you're THAT desperate and stupid!:rolleye1:

yadda yadda

yadda yadda

oh,yeah...forgot...RO and/or DI only for water changes and use good salt - Marine Environment 2 Phase or Bio Assay (name right?). City- treated water good for peeps, bad for polyps :D!

WOW!!!! That was a mouthfull....LOL

WOW!!!! That was a mouthfull....LOL

Mellen....I am totally sympathetic with your views...and I am sure the others are also.

I don't think Sea Oats would be a viable subject for our ecosystems..lol....but they wouldn't get trampled on as we don't walk on our tanks.

I do believe you have a point about heading out to the marshes and see what grows in the tidal ranges...I do believe there are some pickle like plants (a groundcover) that might be used in a hydroponic way by having the tank water slowly through the plant root medium and back into the tank...in the fuge.

I also see reed like plants in the tidal areas that have a ton of snails living on them...the snails stay out of the water most of the time.....the soil they are in is sand and muck under that.

I'll try to remember to take some pics next time I go out to get some specimens and water.

FL Bob

Back