PArameters off the chart with corals doing fine!

maroun.c

Can anyone please explain this:
A friends tank breaks a back pannel and has to be refilled and restarted. All LR corals and fish are kept in tank so basically expected cycle was a mild one. replaced his corals and started with no losses excpet a few while corals were in holding tanks (bathtub actually)
He orders 300 G of RO water from LFS and fills up the tank using RC. does a couple of water changes in teh weeks following the move and starts testing didn't test before as he was in a mess.
he discovers the follwing:

Alk in tank water around 18
Alk in fresh mixed water 28
I test Ro water that LFS is providing him and it's close to 300 in TDS which is causing the high alk levels as our water is very alkaline.
PO4 2

All testing performed by him then his wife (pharmacist) then me (trained on much more complex radioachemical purity testing) we use 3 different salifert test kits one JBL and another waterlife testkits with very close results.
I presume his phophates levels are from the water with high TDS or maybe from a small cycle he got?

since then he started doing waterchanges with good RO water and RC (alk around 10-11) so his levels dropped and are now at about 12 (very small tank demand)
in adidition to softies and LPS he's got:

Montipora
couple of accros

and I gave him (before finding out about alk and phophates) the follwing frags:

Millepora 2
hydnopora 2
montipora 3
accropora 2
scroll 2

All of this have survived and show much better PE than in my tank and are coloring up very well in his tank. to add to that there isn't a singl alga spot inhis tank did get a small brown alga on the sand buldup for 1 week after he restarted the tank but it went alone.
Same MH (14 K arcadia 150 W x4 in his tank) than in my tank which has 2 instead of 4 being shorter but I ahve a 3rd 250W ieseman bulb 22K and an additional 2 x 54 W actinic T5 with individual reflectors and 1 80 W 14 K T5.
Thanks for any explanation of this as it's defying all the rules of reefkeeping.
To add to that he only had a return pump and a single 1000G powerhead inteh tank and just added few streams to increase circulation.
sorry for the long post but had to give all the parameters.

300 ppm TDS water isn't RO water, IMO, unless the starting water is really salty.

That said, I'm not sure exactly what anomaly you want to discuss in more detail?

I beilve they just sold him regular water or had a really bad RO unit...
But I can't understand how the corals thrive through all this and the absecence of hair alga in his tank?

Could be because of his tank cycled or also because he's overstocked with fish without a growing fuge and without a snad bed and a modest skimmer for a tank his size...
but what I'm asking about is how can a full aquarium (fish inverts corals) thrive and frags from my tank do better in his tank than mother colonies in my tank with these values that persisted for at least 2 months???

Back