PH Issues

Hey all,

Im having a hard time getting some reliable information and wanted to throw this question out to see what information you all have.

My PH has been sitting constantly at 8.2 for the past several months. A few weeks ago I tested and it had dropped to 7.8. I have slowly raised it back up and got it to just over 8 and it dropped back to 7.78 again. For some reason I am not able to get it back above 8 and have it hold there. All of my other params are normal its just the PH that seems to be having issues. Any ideas?

With summer months and winter months across the country, we keep our windows and doors closed because of the temps. This lack of outside fresh air flow into our houses allows CO2 to build up. Human beings and pets expel CO2 when we breathe. That CO2 gets into our tanks water and causes that PH drop.
Opening windows, running a outside air line to a skimmer or running a CO2 scrubber in line with a skimmer, allows O2 into the water to raise the PH.

I would question your testing method first. Old test regents. That sort of thing. I would validate the mechanism that is generating the results. Secondly it is generally not recommended to chase pH if it is still within normal acceptable range which you are within.

With summer months and winter months across the country, we keep our windows and doors closed because of the temps. This lack of outside fresh air flow into our houses allows CO2 to build up. Human beings and pets expel CO2 when we breathe. That CO2 gets into our tanks water and causes that PH drop.
Opening windows, running a outside air line to a skimmer or running a CO2 scrubber in line with a skimmer, allows O2 into the water to raise the PH.

Mine has dropped from 8.2-8.4 two months ago to 7.9-8.1 now all because the A/C is running 100% of the time and none of the windows or doors are open. No BS, yesterday I asked my wife if she left a door or window open because the pH was abnormally high (by about .5) when I checked online while I was at work. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "yes, I had the back door open this morning." Yea, big brother is watching woman!

Back