phosphate media

Giant ball of Chaeto in my sump, it's filled the area I have it in. No algae issues in dt. I've used gfo & never really found a difference in brands. It definitely does the job I just prefer a more natural way.

I've found that BRS has far less dust than what I got from my LFS previously - that is the biggest difference for me.

I've been ordering mine through amazon. It's $15 per pound and works just as well as the others mentioned. I tried some HC GFO from eBay and the results were average at best...

Travis, I was worried about the negative reviews as well. But I'm glad I gave it a shot. Here's a picture of the GFO, decent sized and not overly dusty. Good luck :beer:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
you guys know that FAOIS sells this stuff in bulk also right?

I dont think there is any difference in the different brands just branded differently. I think all GFO is the same, the only difference is the grain size.

Yea and the $$$, the prices are very diff from name brands to off name brands. Not sure how much faois sells it for and how much you get

OK so I talked with john at FAOIS. He was cool with me sharing the info I got. The gfo he sells is $10 a bag (1/2 a lb) which is already cheaper then the other brands. But even better, if you buy in bulk (which I always do) you get a break. 5 #s or more will start to save you more money. 5 pounds (10 bags) $90 bucks. That's good and it supports the local stores. Heck go in on it with a buddy and split it...

The dust doesn't bother me must either way I'm going to rinse before use so as long as its cleaned I'm fine. More so the effectiveness of the Gfo is what I look for.

John's bulk is a major brand at least. I want to say it is or was Rowa. Might be Two Little Fishies now. Can't remember.

Hey Travis I want to say the dust messes with fish gill function. Could cause infection or something? John will know for sure. For the record I have known John so long his store is (Faois) Johns to us old timers. :)

Back