Phosphate problems

jahel318

A month ago I transferred all my sand, rock, coral and fish from my old tank to my new tank (45 gallons). a couple weeks ago I started getting spikes in nitrates and phosphates. Initially I thought it could be dead spots so I "aquascaped" my tank in a different way - no change. Then I placed a 12 oz of Chemi Pure Elite which started lowering phosphates but then spiked back up at 2ppm again after 3 days. My nitrates keep bouncing between 5 and 25 ppm. I did two 50% water changes per week over the last 2 weeks, protein skimmer is skimming as usual. I'm using the Vodka method to keep nitrates down as well as Microbe-Lift "Special Blend".

Any ideas of what my issue could be and what I should do? It's driving me insane!:spin2:

Last edited:
I've recently encountered short life on the chemi-pure elite as well. what used to last months now lasts days. I'm thinking its more due to my circumstances and husbandry than a problem with chemipure.

I'm switching over to a reactor / rowaphos to try to lower my phosphates that way.

Granted - I was away and had my cousin watching my tank twice while this happened. The first time I blew through the chemipure elite - I was running without filter socks for a week with them watching the tank. The 2nd time - I made the cousin learn how to deal with the filter socks and still have algae popping up everywhere. I'm guessing they might not have the same feeding technique as me and more food might be getting stuck where the fish can't get it. I portion all my food in pill boxes so they can't be overfeeding.

I'm also overdue for a water change (usually change weekly ~ 30%).

Back