Pico tank for elementary school class?

mossimo654

Hi all,

I'm a 5th grade teacher. I'm lucky to teach in a place that I have e a lot of freedom in what I teach.

With that said, I decided I'd like to cover my biological science standards with marine biology unit. To accompany this I'd like to setup some sort of small marine biome where we can measure and see evidence of nitrification, detritivores, perameters like specific gravity etc.

I have a 55 gallon reef at home that I take care of regularly. Lots of healthy corals, a cuc and a flasher wrasse. So I more or less know what I'm doing when it comes to that size tank.

So anyway I'd like to set up some sort of pico system for our class, but I'm wondering how I should go about it.

The only major issue is COST. I teach public school... lol. I am not looking to grow corals, invest in expensive lighting (or expensive anything). This project will likely be disassembled at end of school year and all surviving creatures added to my tank.

However, with that said I think this class is responsible and precise enough to keep up with maintenance, abd it would just be a really cool fricken project. Do you all think I could set up a pico with like a shrimp and some macro algae and maybe a goby or something? What would I need to think through? Any consideration I'm missing?

This would be awesome and the kids can learn so much. I think you already have the knowledge to do so of course..

What i would do.. Talk to some of the Local pet shops in your area and ask them or ask them to ask some of the reg customers about a Donation or even a loaner for the project. I bet you would not have a hard time doing so.. My only suggestions would be safety. I would try to get a acrylic tank and a desk to set it on that is way larger so you can push it back away from the edge . of course use proper surge protection and We. you know blaa blaa blaa.. For a classroom situation..

The Invert tank idea is kewl...

This would be awesome and the kids can learn so much. I think you already have the knowledge to do so of course..

What i would do.. Talk to some of the Local pet shops in your area and ask them or ask them to ask some of the reg customers about a Donation or even a loaner for the project. I bet you would not have a hard time doing so.. My only suggestions would be safety. I would try to get a acrylic tank and a desk to set it on that is way larger so you can push it back away from the edge . of course use proper surge protection and We. you know blaa blaa blaa.. For a classroom situation..

The Invert tank idea is kewl...

All good and practical advice! I'm headed to my lfs on Friday to see about donations.

Awesome idea. I think its a great thing to do. Also agree with the above you may be able to get some of the more costly items donated. Try to search craiglist for used equipment. Invert would probably be easier since you have to take it down at the end of the year. Dependkng on what size you go with, you could perform a water change on your tank at home and use that water for the new tank. Or if they need to see the cycle then start from scratch

Sounds awesome, wish I had a mini reef in my school days! So much to learn through them including responsibilities (salinity monitor, top off monitor, water change monitor, feeding monitor, wipe glass monitor lol). Even if you end up buying used equipment tell them what your using it for and they might throw you in some freebies. I would try a shrimp and goby pair. They are awesome to look at IF they decide to make their home in a visible area.

Back