Please don't be another mantis

stevomag

When I started this hobby 3 years ago here is what happened... I got live rock from my LFS, long story short fished out about 10 mantis shrimps. It must have been a breeding ground, they killed everything else on my live rock during the first 6months. After fishing out what I thought was all of them, about a year after, I fished out two more. Then I got fed up, and put all my rocks in the sun to dry out, the tank was empty except for my fish and a sand bend about 3cm deep, I mixed up the sand made sure no mantis shrimp was in it. I decided to replace my rocks, with dry rocks from Carib sea. I put these new rocks into the established tank water. 1 year goes by, no clicking tank looks great.

NOW, I'm sitting next to my tank at night, writing this, I can hear clicking... is this impossible? I removed my live rock, only had a 3cm deep sand bed and checked it before putting new rocks in the tank... where did this mantis come from?? Why is it only clicking now?

If it's another mantis I'm giving up this hobby :( it's so annoying!

Solved?

Solved?

Ok I think I solved this mystery! The photo attached was taken a year and half ago. I didn't know what it was back then but Im guessing this is a photo of a pistol shrimp which I found dead floating around, looks like it with the big claw. Hopefully this is the source of the clicking as I am 99% sure I got rid of all my mantis a long time ago!

Attachments

• IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1
Back