Please identify- Diatoms/Dinos

SirMooey

Hey Guys I could do with some help please, I really need this identified as I've tried EVERYTHING to solve it and now I'm thinking that I'm trying to solve the wrong type of algae. My but this brown stuff disappeared after I ran rowaphos in a fluid reactor for 2 weeks. My tank then went fallow for 6 weeks with no algae appearing and then as soon as I put the fish in, It came back!
I dont want to use a fluid reactor again as I've converted it into an algae reactor.

Initially I thought it was diatoms so i:
Dosed nopox
Dosed rowaphos
Dosed phosguard
Set up and chaeto reactor.
Reduced the white light intensity and run time to 10% @ 6 hours.
Changed where I bought RODI (0TDS claimed but not tested)

My parameters are
PH 8.0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 300
Phosphate 0
KH 9
Salinity 1.024

Please someone help me!
If its diatoms I'll be relieved but still need to find out why it wont jog on! Or if its dino it would explain why I cant solve it but need advice on how to approach getting it gone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200116-170353_ReefBeat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200116-170353_ReefBeat.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
Could be cyano. Does it appear to be less when the lights first come on?

If it were dinos, you should see little bubbles or "snot" on the ends of it.

You said you added the fish then it came back, need more info here....... Didn't mention your tank size or how long its been up, need this info again......... the rule of thumb is 1 -2 fish a month max, let bacteria grow to match the bioload, then add 1-2 fish again next month. In a yr that adds up to 12-24 fish depending on how large the tank & the fish are. However it does require patience or else ick or cycling will begin. And really a QT tank should be used on the fish before introducing them to a DT.
Hoping to dose your way out of new tank syndrome won't work, if it did everyone would be buying magic mature in a bottle. The patient slow approach wins the race everytime.
Tank parameters needs to include more info like size of tank, how long running, testing being done far as ammonia, nitrites, what lighting exactly are you running also would always help since lighting is critical on a reef tank. That acan does not look real happy it looks like its in a non mature tank that may have ammonia and or nitrites, id check that if i could asap........ if you just added all the fish at once.
Anyway with the min information you state this is what im seeing.

Back