Po4

My tank is going on 4 months old. Like with many new tanks I have a slight nutrient problem. Not huge. I never got above .2. I opted to use GFO to clear it up some and manage .02-.05. Which I am doing. GFO has been online for about a month and a half. I am STILL getting a little purple on the sand bed but pretty much in the flow protected areas which I don’t have many of.
The last couple of weeks I have been seeing a deep maroon colored cyano. Admittedly I thought it was a red coral one because I hit and sprayed it with a turkey baster and it didn’t budge.
I am not a new reefer but this is the first time I have seen cyano this early and and different color in MY tank.
I have a Co2 scrubber plus the GFO online now. I would have thought that would help. I don’t wish to use chemo-clean or anything like that so should I just relax and be patient which in this hobby is normal for me? I am just frustrated as I am doing the right things and not successful.
Thanks!!!

I would vacuum the sand. Not many are still advocating leaving sandbeds alone. The amount if organic nutritients that build up in a sandbed is often beyond a healthy level for coral.

My tank is going on 4 months old. Like with many new tanks I have a slight nutrient problem. Not huge. I never got above .2. I opted to use GFO to clear it up some and manage .02-.05. Which I am doing. GFO has been online for about a month and a half. I am STILL getting a little purple on the sand bed but pretty much in the flow protected areas which I don’t have many of.
The last couple of weeks I have been seeing a deep maroon colored cyano. Admittedly I thought it was a red coral one because I hit and sprayed it with a turkey baster and it didn’t budge.
I am not a new reefer but this is the first time I have seen cyano this early and and different color in MY tank.
I have a Co2 scrubber plus the GFO online now. I would have thought that would help. I don’t wish to use chemo-clean or anything like that so should I just relax and be patient which in this hobby is normal for me? I am just frustrated as I am doing the right things and not successful.
Thanks!!!
Are you sure it's Cyano? If it's not breaking up when you hit it with a baster or powerhead it may be something else. Pics might help.

That said, you want the beneficial bacteria to build up and out compete the nuisance algae. You may be inhibiting your Scrubber using GFO. Some actually dose Nitrates to help the Algae in their scrubbers grow and bring down the PO4 accordingly. I've seen some newer hobbyists delay the cycling of their tanks by adding too many nutrient and waste control methods before they were necessary. Remember that patience is a virtue in this hobby and that nothing good happens fast. Best of luck in your efforts! 👍

Back