PODS IN REFUGIA - Input Desired

rlpardue

:rollface:Hi all,

My goal for this thread will be to invite collaborative input on how to MAXIMIZE POD PRODUCTION in refugia! I feel that this purpose of refugia is always overlooked in online forums, or diverted into related topics (e.g., nitrate reduction, DSB vs BB, caulerpa vs chaeto, flow, etc). Now some of those topics DO have a bearing on the production of pods, and to the extent that such topics are relevant to pod production, they are acceptable topics for discussion here. Other than that, such topics are best left to other threads. I invite you all to offer experiences, links, and even hearsay so that we can get a good discussion going for posterity regarding how to maximize refugia-generated zooplankton, pods, microfauna for feeding a Display Tank.

To start with, we shall assume that one purpose of refugia is to provide a predator-free zone in which small crustaceans and other life forms can FEED, BREED, and flow into a DT as FOOD for corals and fish. Thus, RDSBs for nitrate reduction would be located in a separate refugium.

Query #1: Sand Bed

There are several alternatives available when it comes to sand (or the lack thereof). Bare-bottomed refugia make it easier to keep detritus from settling, but also do not provide a habitat for those organisms which live in, or lay eggs within, a sandbed. Therefore, I think that BB refugia will generally be excluded from this section because, whatever their benefits, they are not ideal environments for the purpose herein (producing microfauna).

RDSB vs. SSB (Remote Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed)
Does anyone have any knowledge of the extent to which a DSB located in a refugium would contribute to a greater number and VARIETY of micro-food critters making their way to the DT? THIS WOULD BE A GREAT AREA FOR INPUT! There is practically nothing online on this subject other than occasional references by Ron Shimek. :fun5:

There are a number of reasons not to run a RDSB, but is pod production one of the reasons in favor of a DSB generally?

Also, do the various types of "Miracle Mud" products contribute to animal life in any way, either directly or indirectly (e.g.-they feed plants, plants feed animals)?

PLANT LIFE LOCATED IN REFUGIA
To what extent does plant life contribute to pod production within a refugium? I have heard that dosing phytoplankton to a refugium is one way to greatly improve the production of food organisms.

MACROALGAE - Given the fact that whenever I prune balls of chaeto, there are a TON of little copepods and amphipods which fall out, I imagine that they are either feeding directly on such macros, or feeding on something else that feeds on macros. Is there any data for this? How best to maximize pod-production with the use of various macros?

LIVE ROCK
Since LR brings such critters into our aquariums, we can assume for this thread that there will at least be a small quantity of LR in the POD-FUGE. For nutrient-export reasons, people may opt to raise LR above the level of sand, place LR in higher-flow areas, etc.

WATER FLOW
To what extent does water flow impact the productivity of a POD-FUGE?

TO LIGHT, OR NOT TO LIGHT?
To what extent does light, or the lack thereof, contribute to the production of microfauna? I've read somewhere that it is important to have a "dark period" in a refugium since some animals only feed in the dark. Is this true? (If so, we will all be frustrated that we ever added Caulerpa lol - do some research on this if you don't understand)

OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST
Are there any other practices which contribute to improved diversity and quantity of animal life in refugia?

I appreciate everyone's feedback and input here. I think that maximizing production of micro-fauna is a neglected purpose of refugia, and that our corals and fish will appreciate an increase in the amount of such "zooplankton" critters that refugiums are capable of producing.:thumbsup:

Thanks!
Lee

I am tagging alog as I am building a 180g now with a sump below it. I have the room for a second sump/pod area.. but do not know what yet.

Lol, can definitely see your profession in that post :)

Sand bed - For microfauna a deep sand bed is not needed. The principal purpose of deep sand beds is to provide an anaerobic environment for the bacteria that help break down nitrates. Crushed coral mixed with a medium sized sand is good, allows a lot of creatures to live in the sandbed. IMO fine sand should be avoided for that reason, and miracle mud too, as they are very compact.

Plant life - Very few plants in the saltwater hobby, mostly seagrasses. Ignore them for your purpose. Macroalgae is what you want, and is very beneficial for refugiums. Densly bundled macros like chaeto provide a huge living area for pods, tons of surface area for them. More delicate macros like ulva are also good to have around as the bigger pods like amphipods will live on and eat it as food. Hair algae is also an awesome breeding ground for pods, but due to the fact that it'll spread to the display tank the best macro for refugium pod production remains the chaeto. The best thing you can do for pod production in a fuge hands down is to dose live phytoplankton as it is the basic food for so many kinds of zooplankton, especially the copepods. Its their food source and most tanks are pretty scarce on it, it is a big limiting factor for pods.

Liverock - A small section of live rock rubble may be helpful for some creatures, its a tradeoff for macroalgae. Not sure overall which would be better, personally I prefer the macroalgae. I'm sure there are some creatures that would prefer the darker and more stable environment of liverock though.

Flow - Affects pod production a lot. Most pods like low flow, higher flow will disrupt them. I have a small 20 gal fuge attached to my macroalgae tank, it is extremely low flow, you can see thousands of pods just congregating out in the open. I'm sure that's only a fraction of all the pods in there. Low flow is best.

Light - Yes, normal light cycle. Good for everything, both diurnal and nocturnal creatures.

Other areas - Food would be the main thing I can think of. Main problem of that is higher nutrient levels in the aquarium itself.

Longterm problem - Detritus. Low flow, high food - just as the more open crushed coral sandbed and chaeto are great for pods and other zooplankton to live in, they're just as good at being detritus traps.

Last edited:
Haha Tektite, it's a small world. It's a shame that my profession is KILLING my writing. :) :deadhorse: Now I sound like a warning label lol.

Thanks for the excellent response! I want to incorporate an above-tank refugium into my new build so that a pump doesn't shred the larger pods and mysids. I'm just not sure yet what I'm going to put inside it.

Caulerpa is definitely out so that I can run it on a reverse photoperiod without worrying about that loathesome, vile, grasping plant going sexual on me. I was thinking about including a dark/crypto section to try and encourage the growth of whatever bugs would prefer all darkness. The whole 'above-tank' bit will take some planning and probably also some sturdy metal shelves.

So far, it sounds like the ideal refugium (ideal for microfauna production, not other purposes) would be reverse-photoperiod, have a small bit of live rock, have a shallow mixed-grade sandbed, contain some macros and be fed phyto daily. I think that's doable. I'd have to clean it out once in a while to keep nutrients from rotting away.

Can I feed my refugium the Roti-grow frozen phyto, or do I need to grow some fresh?

IME I have found that my lit refugium produces far more pods then my dark refugium (I am running both).

Having a normal light cycle will help to promote breeding. Having the tank constantly lit will hinder it. Pods and shrimp often breed based on the light cycle.

There are different types of pods, some eat algaes, some eat detritus. Macroalgaes will help some types grow, foods will help others. I like to have both in my system.

I have a large amount of rubble rock and algae in my lit refugium. Gives the worms and pods a place to establish and the chaeto has quite the population of both as well.

I do not think water flow has to big of an impact, but many species of shrimp will float directly to the top when they are released, so an overflow type refugium will have much of the offspring imported to the next section of the system.

I would encourage you to try to stimulate worm growth as well as pod growth. Worms are also great cleaners and they do breed as well.

IME I have found that my lit refugium produces far more pods then my dark refugium (I am running both).

Having a normal light cycle will help to promote breeding. Having the tank constantly lit will hinder it. Pods and shrimp often breed based on the light cycle.

There are different types of pods, some eat algaes, some eat detritus. Macroalgaes will help some types grow, foods will help others. I like to have both in my system.

I have a large amount of rubble rock and algae in my lit refugium. Gives the worms and pods a place to establish and the chaeto has quite the population of both as well.

I do not think water flow has to big of an impact, but many species of shrimp will float directly to the top when they are released, so an overflow type refugium will have much of the offspring imported to the next section of the system.

I would encourage you to try to stimulate worm growth as well as pod growth. Worms are also great cleaners and they do breed as well.

When I kept seahorses I had a number of peppermint shrimp in the seahorse-sump. I fed them some pellets every other day. Eventually they all started spawning quite regularly, and little wriggling shrimp larvae spewed into the seahorse tank. (the female seahorse loved this). Maybe I ought to include a section as a peppermint shrimp farm to do the same in the new build. Such a section would have to be plumbed before the pod-fuge section so that the shrimp wouldn't eat the pods.

I was actually just about to suggest that, easy enough when you can stock them from Galveston :) Probably a quarter of the peppermints in my sump carry eggs at any given time, and with the number of shrimp I probably get at least one spawn every day. I'm sure my night feeding corals love them.

I currently have a Refugium that is lit at night and I have chaeto and a couple of live rock pieces. I added some pods at he beginning but I don't think the population is really growing. Do I need rubble to give them a breeding area? Thx

Back