Potential 200+ g FOWLR

Redhaze40

Hello All,

Old RC member here back again looking for help setting up a friends/bosses FOWLR tank. I haven't kept a saltwater tank for over a decade so this will be a challenge, especially when I've only ever kept small reefs previously so the pressures on, ha.

Ok so what I got to go on is - tank will be a unique 2'x2'x6' (LWH), must be as self sufficient as possible, he's not fussed about what type fish, money no object.

My thinking was a sump as large as possible running all equipment with some type of macro algae, biggest skimmer possible, plenty of flow, bare bottom. I assume given the size of the tank is only 2 ft square bigger aggressive fish like triggers, puffers are not an option so at the minute im leaning towards 1 x dottyback, 1 x hawkfish, smaller tangs, dwarf angels, toby (sp?) puffers etc.

Does this set up sound about right or a bit old skool/way off track? All opinions most welcome. Thanks

Those dimensions are a bit weird... Despite the volume, I don't think I would include any tangs in there. They like to swim straight ahead of them, not up and down. That's just my opinion.

I would suggest looking into a different aquarium if you want things to be simpler. Maintenance will be a pain given the height and even fish selection will be tough. You'd only really be able to keep smaller groups of fish that might appreciate the different depths for caves.

Another alternative since the height is great: captive-bred seahorses. Ponies do great in tall aquariums, but they would need calm flow and 2-3 small feedings/day and a lot of aquarium maintenance.

Back