Power bill estimate for 1000g tank?

derrick80f

Hi, as I am considering building my own 1100g tank in the future, I was wondering if anyone with a 1000g tank could share their monthly power costs for the tank alone, and perhaps how much they pay per kw hour and how many kw hrs their tank uses/month. It would be appreciated!!

Lots of variability. What are you are going to grow, Softies, LPS, SPS, mixed, FOWLR? Are you using leds or halides? What climate are you in? You could need 3000w in heaters or as low as 1000w depending. You are going to need big water flow. 4 x MP60 maybe? And big return pump(s). Do you need a chiller? UV? I'm sure there's more to consider but it already looks not cheap to me.

Don’t forget about the emergency backup generator !

If I had ever calculated the actual costs of my salt tanks, I probably wouldn’t have been in it for ~50 years!

Lots of variability. What are you are going to grow, Softies, LPS, SPS, mixed, FOWLR?
I honestly haven't decided. I like puffers and I know they eat coral. I want a lot of tangs and other misc fish.. I like the idea of a monster tank with corals, and I kept corals before with my reef breeders LED at a depth of say, 28" accounting for the sanded bed.. I could just keep soft corals, that would cut down on maintenance required.

As far as lighting, LEDs are the way to go for me. Easy and cheaper.

I live in north Florida so there is no need for over the top heating and I doubt I would need a chiller.

I understand the need for heavy flow and water turnover in a large tank, and have no idea of pumps for something like that much water.

Last edited:
Back