Pre-cycle tank before 'Package'

Bruddah Chrispy

Premium Member
Aloha e Richard,

My aquarium finally approaching it's launch date. I intend to order "The Package" for my live rock/sand and critters. I would like a slightly deeper DSB than TP will provide so I was intending to add a few bags of Aragonite.

There are a few ways I could approach this:

- I could order TP, and add it and my sand to the tank at the same time. This most closely follows the suggestions/instructions on your webpage.

- I could order TP and add the sand and water before it arrives. This allows me a final 'shakedown cruise' to make sure all systems are go.

- I could add the sand, water, and a ****tail shrimp and cycle the tank before I order TP. This allows TP to be added to a pre-cycled tank, presumably keeping more live rock alive.

What are your thoughts on these three approaches? I've read your webpage and realize that it advocates the first, but being an engineer, I'd like to understand the pros and cons of all three approaches. As the old adage says "Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for an hour; set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life." ;)

Chris

I would not mix live sand with crushed coral, it tends to clump, and there is no reason too, if you want a deeper sand bed, just let us know you can have as much sand as you want.

When cycling a new tank it is best to follow the directions on the Package page.

Adding rock and sand to an established tank is the same procedure, you just have to be ready to make those water changes.

But anything you can do to shorten the cycle, like using aged tank water, or adding some real live sand to the system will help.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com:rollface:

Thanks Richard!

FWIW I was not intending to add any CC. The Aragonite is sand.

You'll be hearing from me in the weeks ahead.

Back