Problems with my Zoos

levon15

I have had zoo frags slowly dieing one at a time in my frag tank. They begin by slowly not opening. One side of the frag to another, changing placement in the tank does not matter, I freshwater dipped them when I got them and have again since these problems began. I have lost two frags already and a third and forth are starting to do the same. I thought cutting the ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œdeadââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ areas off might help so I did that this weekend, it shows no signs of improving. When I cut it off it ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œbledââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ a blackish substance from the polyps. I have seen no signs of nudis.

I also have a large amount of stomatella snails crawling all over this tank and they continue to reproduce. I thought maybe since they might be running out of food could the stomatella be turning on my zoos? I have found the snails under the frags and nestled between polyps.

I have frogspawn, mushrooms, xenia, anthelia, and monti caps all thriving and growing in this tank. They are under T-5ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s and the bulbs do not need to be replaced yet. Any ideas would be gladly accepted.

I don't think it's the snails because I had the same issue with my zoos. I ended up loosing a majority of the zoos, but what seemed to help is increasing water changes. I was doing twice a week.

Are you having and algae problem too?

Im also having a similar problem. I havre tried diping on a weekly basis to see what happens but no change in results. I will try frequent water changes to see how that affects things. BTW, my name is also Levon. Crazy huh? anyone else have/had a similar situation?

Fish?

Fish?

Any chance one of your fish has developed a taste for zoos? I had a foxface that was fine for the first year or so in the tank, then started munching on zoos when I wasn't looking. It took me a long time to catch him at it, and in the mean time I lost several whole colonies or gorgeous zoos.

Jon

I have a sixline, firefish, small blenny, and bicolor psudecromis. Yup thats a lota fish but i dont this they are doing anything to the zoo's do you think it could be the sixline?

I have had that happen. I find that there is a very thin bluish "skin" on and between the closed polyps. I've been blasting them with a turkey baster and it can sometimes blow away that blue stuff. Once it is blown away, it's more likely that the polyps will open but not all do. I've saved some of my zoanthids they weren't opening that way. You do have to look closely to see that blue-colored "film" that's on the polyps...at least that's what happened to mine.

Avi, that sounds like what mine are doing. I have seen bluish/milky patches on a colony of mine. Some look like blisters on the polyp. This colony is just about gone, having melted away over the past 2 weeks. I will try blasting them to see if it helps.

I start blasting with the turkey baster as soon as I see any signs of polyps that won't open.

Back