Puffer fish tank

bwhit1406

In my house an on going theme has been "why can't we add a puffer fish to our reeftank". It's always our favorite fish when we are out visiting the local stores, but no matter how many stories I read of people having model puffers in their reefs I just don't want to chance it. I have been given the go ahead to build a species tank for a puffer, but space is limited. My thought was to go with a 3foot long tank in the range of 65 gallons. I know this limits us to just a few species but that's as big as I can go right now in this house. Our second child was just born so there is a lot to do before I can start on this tank, looking for advice or suggestions from those with experience with puffers.

I know it's too large for a 65g but I've had a porcupine puffer for almost 4 years now and he had been in a mixed reef for 2 years. Model citizen, BUT from what I read you have like a 8 out of 10 chance that you will get one that has a puffer attitude. I think I got lucky with mine

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've see quite a few people with a Valentini Puffer in their mixed reef tank. They've said they had just as many "issues" with that fish as they do with any other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a porcupine in my tank for a couple years and he is a favorite of the family. Lots of personality. Will follow you back and forth as you walk by the tank. He eats A LOT. I feel he adds a heavy bio-load to the fish list. He will polish off a 1x1 inch frozen mysis or krill section in no time.

I had a couple of puffers in my 225g before I converted it to a reef tank. I had a Golden, Mexican Blue spot and Mappa Puffer. Awesome personalities! I definitely miss having them in the community.

Yes probably thinking of the valentini puffer. I thought about chancing it in our tank now, but just dont want to have to deal with the disappointment if it goes south and we have to get rid of the puffer.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Valentini will do fine in a tank that size, or even half that size. Check out LiveAquaria and you might find some others that get a little bigger that can still do just fine in a 65.

If anyone with a tank big enough wants one-i have a porcupine puffer thats 8-10" and eats a whole shrimp or 2 a day.
She needs a new home!

Never thought i would hear it about aquarium stuff but my wife said she was excited about this idea. Looking to make the Puffer a Christmas \ Birthday gift for my Son. So if anyone has a 36ish long tank in the 65 gallon size they are going to sell give me a heads up.

Marine warehouse has the smallest valentini puffer I've seen yet. Maybe 1" long.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cool, have not been in there in a long time.
What other types of puffers would work in a 65 gallon?

I think any of the dwarf puffers would be fine. If you're up for box fish there are some really cool ones that I think stay small enough for a 65 and can be paired.

Well not quite what I originally planned but I pulled the trigger on a 40 Breeder setup. One step closer.

Its in the works, basically have everything except sand and enough rock at this point. Hoping to get it started cycling hy the end of October.

Back