Pulsing xenia help?!

ErosJN

Hey guys, so a friend of mine gave me a frag of pulsing xenia a while back. They grew well back when I barely did water changes and once I started actually doing them the xenia started to die. Eventually i was left with a small section of them and even til this day if i do a 20-30 gal change they shrivel up beyond belief and it takes them about 2-3 weeks to recover which is around the next time for a water change again. Anyone ever had this problem? The changes dont affect any of my less hardy corals so i dont understand. I remember xenias being my firsy coral in the hobby back in new york and you could throw them in a pot of saltwatet and theyd spread lol. Heres a photo.. they are right below the GSP barely visible because of how shriveled they are.
806ecba7c05833c231406cfec6dd8eae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I had some in my first tank. Grew good for a while then melted away. Couple months later in reappeared in a different area and started growing over everything.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I have and they just melted away. From what I've read though is because of low nutrients or alk swing.

They love dirty water so maybe yours is too clean .... I'd honestly get them out while you can they turn Into a problem once they take off lol I regret ever putting them in my tank took forver to get rid of it all

Interesting. Ill have to check my alk butits definitely not because of clean water... my nitrates are a bit on the high end. This only happens immediately after water change. Im using IO salt.. hmmm

Interesting. Ill have to check my alk butits definitely not because of clean water... my nitrates are a bit on the high end. This only happens immediately after water change. Im using IO salt.. hmmm
I've had problems with my mushrooms and zoas due to too clean of water.

About 2 months ago I switched to a 50/50 mix of IO and Red Sea Coral Pro.

After the second wc, things started to open back up.

Now 1.5 months later, my zoas, duncans, frogspawn, chalice, porites, and mushrooms are reproducing like crazy. Well the encrusting corals are just going faster, but you get the idea.

Do you feed corals?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I would guess its a swing in some parameter due to the large water change. Instead of 20-30gals every 3 weeks, try 5gal a week, 5gal every 4days just something that will me small and less effect on the overall chemistry of the system. This will move your numbers far less and probably the xenia will be less ****ed off. Give it a try and see, if nothing changes you can simply go back to your current method and look elsewhere for the issue.

They love dirty water so maybe yours is too clean .... I'd honestly get them out while you can they turn Into a problem once they take off lol I regret ever putting them in my tank took forver to get rid of it all

+++++111111. I made the miss take of putting it in my tank and wish I need did...DONT DO IT....

I had too clean of a tank and still sorta do. All softies didn't thrive like others' tanks. Now that I feed appropriately and more often, everything seems on par. In fact my sps colors are coming along and the lps are growing in size.

I don't understand too clean. We are not as clean as the ocean. I feed very light. I dose carbon. I have an oversized Bubble King skimmer. Xenia grows like mad for me. Your water is not too clean for xenia.
Undetectable nitrates. 3 ppb/.015 po4 in my tank. Message me and I will send you pics of thriving xenia in what some might consider too clean of a tank. If you get to Largo you can stop by even.
I have to agree with a possible alk issue. The cleaner your tank the lower your alk might need to be. This is my experience and not set in stone.

I do not use IO at the moment but my buddy does with crazy growing xenia. He feeds very heavy and his nitrates creeped way up. When I did use IO for many years I had xenia with zero issues.
Ever open your windows in the house?

Back