Question about filling new tank with fresh water

nathan1986

Just picked up a new tank. It has a few things I'd like to eradicate before I set it up so I'm going to run the tank with fresh water for a week to clean things out. Its a 120g tank and maybe a 30g sump. I purchased 120 gallons of ro/di water but was only able to pick up about 45-50 gallons of it. The tank has a false back rock wall that's more than half exposed to air and is starting to smell a little. My question is can I use tap water to finish filling the tank to essentially flush everything out? Or would I have to worry about chlorine and chloramines in the water doing more harm than good when I drain it and fill it with fresh salt water. Thanks for the help, lugging brute cans in the back of my explorer is getting annoying

I would be more worried about contaminants in the water leeching into the rock wall than chlorine or chloramines. That you could neutralize with prime pretty easily.

I would be more worried about contaminants in the water leeching into the rock wall than chlorine or chloramines. That you could neutralize with prime pretty easily.
Yes, that's my main concern. That fake rock wall absorbing bad stuff. I guess ill just keep making the 25 min trip to pick up water 40 gallons at a time until it's filled. My next purchase Is defintaly going to be a ro/di system! Thanks!

Yes, that's my main concern. That fake rock wall absorbing bad stuff. I guess ill just keep making the 25 min trip to pick up water 40 gallons at a time until it's filled. My next purchase Is defintaly going to be a ro/di system! Thanks!

I resisted that for a long time, but once you drop the initial $200 or whatever your realize how much easier your life gets.

Ya the gf and I were looking at them last night. Just have to wait a week or 2 before I can afford one. Literally dropped all my savings on the tank. $70 for 2 brute trash cans didn't help much either lol

I would get Kc's, it comes with a booster pump to raise the pressure to produce more water and will actually make the filter last longer. Hit him up about it!!!

I was looking at his. But id like a 6 stage, I live right next to a water plant and sometimes it smells like we are showering in straight chlorine. Was looking at the brs 6 stage plus system. But in the meantime I need some more ro/di just to get this tank running, I just took the hood off to add about 50 more gallons and the smell almost made me throw up lol tank is now completely full but the sump is still empty. Im so close lol

I was looking at his. But id m? stage, I live right next to a water plant and sometimes it smells like we are showering in straight chlorine. Was looking at the brs 6 stage plus system. But in the meantime I need some more ro/di just to get this tank running, I just took the hood off to add about 50 more gallons and the smell almost made me throw up lol tank is now completely full but the sump is still empty. Im so close lol
Congrats on the upgraded tank....And your life will be so much easier with the rodi it's one of the greatest purchases I have made.
Are you going to make a build thread?

I don't think I'll have much of a build thread. Purchased the tank, stand, hood, sump, skimmer, return pump and all plumbing from janes_mw. So really all I have to do is flush the system with fresh water to clean it all out and then add salt water, sand and rock. Moving the tank and setting it up was easy compared to finding 150 ish gallons of ro/di water lol

Back