Question on APEX and how it all ties together?

Genetics

Hands deep in water
Team RC
Premium Member
Working on restarting my reef. Looking at going small but accumulating equipment for a future upgrade. Have always liked the look and togetherness of the Neptune Apex System but have always been a bit confused on how it works. There seems to be multiple levels of entry.

I am torn between the base model and the professional model. If I go with the base can I add modules to include things not covered?

With all of the Pump makers out there is there a decent selection of pumps that are compatible or is it still easiest to keep the programming separate?

The A3 Pro adds a few extra modules on the unit itself and includes a salinity and ORP probe. There's an extra FMM port and four channels of variable dimming. You can always add modules as needed; one of the nice things about the Apex system.

I think it is up to personal preference regarding running a pump via Apex or not. I chose not to have my pump controlled variably. However, I do have it plugged into the EB38 so that it can be turned on\off in various scenarios.

Here are a couple of BRS links. There are videos on each page with details.

A3 Pro
A3

Controllers are great for monitoring systems but with all the problems I've seen I would be heitant to put them in complete control of a system Failures have been varied from individual ports or outlets to the processor itself locking up preventing any access and even completely disapbling everything. At the very least redundancy on critical functions like return pumps and lighting needs to be desiged into the instalation so when there's a failure a system isn't crashed.

I agree with Tim, Started out with thinking I was going to use some controling, but never really reached it. I had devices to control things on an individual level, but only used the Apex to monitor.

I’m going to use mine for lights, temp and eventually powerhead and that’s it.

. . . , temp . . .

I would be hesitant to control heat with just one unit. I've seen temp probes fail, input port fail and power outlet fail both always on and always off for just one piece of equipment. I know it may not be practical on some smaller systems but heat along with return pumps I try to have redundancy or separate alarms so an equipment failure reduces the risk of crashing a system.

would be hesitant to control heat with just one unit. I've seen temp probes fail, input port fail and power outlet fail both always on and always off for just one piece of equipment.
I have had various Neptune Systems controllers over the years (aquacontroller that locked up when the battery backup was drained, aquacontroller 2 that ate through the backup battery so it never had a charge by the time the power did go out, and a couple of apex units, a couple because I gave the older one to my son for his tank,) and in regards to heaters, there is no good answer with only one heater. I have heaters fail, heaters with controllers fail, etc. The only good answer is two heaters, with the heater's internal thermostat set a little above the controllers so that if the heater or the controller fails it won't cook the tank. If the heater fails off, then the second heater will keep the tank from getting too cold. I wouldn't hook both heaters up to the Apex, but rather go with a seperate controller. If the tank is too small for two heaters, then just get one and set an email alert on the Apex to let you know if the tank is getting cold. Always have a spare heater on hand.
I would look for an older used apex.

Last edited:
Ended up with an old Aquacontroller and seems to be working atm. Looking around for an Apex system for a good price. Missed the Black Friday sales. Don’t know if there will be another this year.

Ended up with an old Aquacontroller and seems to be working atm. Looking around for an Apex system for a good price. Missed the Black Friday sales. Don’t know if there will be another this year.
Nate, sent you a link to a deal I found.

Back