Question on raising salinity after hypo

Most material out there mentioned to keep fish in hypo 1.009s.g. for 30 days.
After that gradually raise salinity 0.002s.g. per day to back to normal.
Is hypo effective to protomont or theront?

My question is, should I move all "clean" fish to another QT tank where there is absolute
no ich cysts before raising the salinity? If we do it in the same QT tank, as soon as we raise the
salinity, potential hatching ich, theronts will find the fish.

Thank you

Is hypo effective to protomont or theront?
The Hyposalinity method only kills the free-swimming stage of Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) and flukes. It does encourage Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) on the fish to get off the fish sooner. However, the 30-day treatment period takes care of all Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) in its various stages since they will reach their free-swimming stage within that 30-day period. I prefer 35 days, though, to be conservative. There is always a chance that an outlying Ich will slip through, but the odds are low, so long as tank temperatures are maintained 78-80F.
My question is, should I move all "clean" fish to another QT tank where there is absolute
no ich cysts before raising the salinity?
No need to. See above answer.
How much bleach solution and for how long to clean infected tank and powerhead?
No need to do this for Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) and flukes.
Sorry for so many questions.
Ask as many questions as you want.

So, Hypo will kill the irritans in the Drop Off Stage (protomont) as illustrated in the life cycle diagram.
The reproduction stage will take from 3 days to 11 weeks. But this is not a concern as the irritans won't reach this stage.
Am I correct?
Thank you again for your invaluable advise. I now have a very clear picture of what to do next.

Ich_-_BRS-01.jpg

You will find different numbers on different charts. There is a range. Much of the time depends on the temperature. This is a good snapshot of work done by several investigators:
C irritans table.jpg

But this is not a concern as the irritans won't reach this stage.
Am I correct?
Basically, yes. The times of the various stages are affected by temperature, as the above chart indicates. During Hyposalinity, the temperature must be as close to 80F as possible, considering the types of fishes. The free-swimming (Theront) stage is the most vulnerable time for Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich). Hyposalinity will drive some of the Trophonts off the fish faster than 'normal' feeding times and the temperature will increase the cycle rate.

No treatment for Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) infected fishes is 100% foolproof. Mistakes happen; the parasite may be an outlier. There are additional problems when trying Hyposalinity in a DT that is fish only, so keep in mind all our discussion is based on fishes in quarantine/hospital tanks. After treatment, it is imperative to observe the fish, still in an observation tank (not the DT) for another 3+ weeks.

Last edited:
Back