Question on Reef Octopus skimmers.

Scuba Dan

Asked this same question in the equipment section and surprised I have not received any comments. So I'm here to ask the local guys/gals. I'm in need of a new skimmer. Looking into a Reef Octopus skimmer. I own other Reef Octopus equipment and VERY pleased with their products and customer service. My question is on the performance between the skimmers shown below. Which skimmer is a better design? I've read great reviews on both. Is performance equal between the 2 skimmers and it's just a space saving benefit with the one?
Thanks.....

04e688f4-237a-490d-8cdd-8e39c64588c9_zpspsl5cl8y.jpg

d25a731b-7a67-4b5b-8584-6290acca94a6_zpsxmavythu.jpg

Im no expert, and ive never had a reef octopus. But i have owned both designes of skimmers you posted. I personally had better results with a cone design skimmer. Just my experience

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

But id imgaine there are quite a few things that impact the skimmers performance, not just the body design.

I agree with Nathan. I find the cone design to work better. Might help if you gave us the product numbers with the pics so we could look up the specs. I have both designed reef octo skimmers and both work well.

I own the the first model pictured. If you have the money and the room I would recommend the second one simply because it a gate valve for better control and a larger cup that has a drain off connector built in. That said I really like my space saver skimmer and it is probably cheaper. It will get the job done just fine I'm sure.

Actually if you look on the reef octopus website the gate valve is second to the red twist tube. Because you can always see exactly where the twist tube is set where the gate valve you can't see you have to try to remember how many turns you did. I personally have a reef octopus elite 220int and love it. It has the red twist tube and it's great

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

If you're looking for something that small,
Look into the SCA skimmers.
Best bang for the buck.

I have used them in the past with good results/performance.

However a currently use the RO 200 something ( the model listed in my signature)- on my 320g system- it also works well.
I noticed that my current skimmer is designed that virually no microbubbles are able to make it out of the output. Again- never a problem for my 125g sump anyways, but those with smaller systems sometimes have a micro bubble problem

Thanks for all the replies. Size of the skimmer is really not a issue. If performance is equal, I thought I'd save a few bucks and go with the top one. If one has better design/performance, I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get the better skimmer. The reason I would like to go with a Reef Octopus skimmer is their customer service and I like the performance of the other Reef Octopus items I have. I had issues in the past with a missing part and a defect in a part and the customer service was just second to none. GREAT company to deal with. Really stand behind their product. Those of you that suggest I check into another brand I will do so. Never hurts to look around. ;) Thanks again for everyones input. I really appreciate it. I'm going to do some more research and check out the other brands available. I hope to place a order for a skimmer in the next couple of days.
Thanks again...

If your open to looking around, im currently running a jns sk2 skimmer that came with a tank i purchased. Its an awesome skimmer, pulls TONS of gunk, so much that you can smell the skimmate if you dont empty it every few days. No micro bubbles at all and the shark pump is near silent

Back