question on vodka

jim.l

Situation: I had to have my house tented and gassed for termites. This actually worked out well because I had been fighting nuisance algae for a while. A complete tear down and replacing of all of my sand, plus storing rock in a dark tub for a week, along with scrubbing had the tank looking great. Everything went back in well and looked good for about a month. Then a cyano problem began and wiping down the glass daily plus rocks were starting to acquire a thin bit of green algae.

After reading your article I decided to try dosing vodka to get rid of which was beginning to manifest itself again. It has worked great. Almost all cyano is gone, the rock is clean and The glass is wiped every 2 -3 days.

Question is; I am now dosing 2.5 ml per day to a 150 gal tank, about 130 total gallons of water. Given the improvement realized, should I hold at this level until everything is gone or should I continue to increase dosage.

The tests on both phosphate and nitrate are, and always have been too low to read. Nitrate test is API and Phosphate is salifert.

Jim, I too have run into the issue of phosphates and nitrates being too low to measure. My phosphates read 0.01-0.04 usually and I can't seem to get a positive on my nitrates.

I've used algae as a way to base dosing. If it's decreasing I stay at that amount, if it is increasing I increase slightly until I notice it disappearing again. If you are seeing improvement, I would stay at 2.5mL until your tank is where you want it and then step down to 2mL and see if that keeps everything looking great.

Back