Radion light spillage question

pat24601

Hi!

I’m surprised I don’t see this issue being discussed more either here or even on the internet in general. So, I’m not sure if I’m missing something or if this is just a problem that doesn’t bother many people.

I’m putting up a new tank after a few years out of the hobby and I’m using two Radion xr15 on a Red Sea reefer 300.

My problem is I put the tank in my living room and when sitting on the couches the light spillage is pretty bad. Like it feels like you are staring up into the light rather than the tank.

I did buy some 3D printed shades and they help a lot, but not entirely really.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Any solutions? I see one YouTube content creator using AI blades and keeping them close to the water, for example.

I know I probably should have gone old school canopy in hindsight, but that ship sailed a few thousand dollars ago…

Your issue is not so much the LEDs but the viewing angle.
Halides or T5s would be as much (or more in the case of halides) an issue.

The only real fix (if the shades don't get you where you want to be) is a hood.

Consider moving the lights slightly toward the front of the aquarium centerline and angling them (tilting them) back a bit. This may help, as well as provide more light for the front of the rock scape.

From this screen from a recent BRS video, you can lower the Radions to as low as 6 inches over the water and not have a significant hotspot which would also be quite helpful for room spill and the sightline.
radion_height.png

Back