Radion XR30w Pro tripping GFCI

inktomi

Aviator
Hello -

I just received for brand new XR30w Pro units for a new project I'm working on. I have two (brand new) dedicated 20 amp circuits installed for the tank as well - both protected by a single dual outlet GFI plug. There is nothing else plugged into the circuits.

Since I spent a good deal of money on these lights, I was quite excited to plug one in and see what it looked like... turns out it looks GREAT, for a few seconds. Both my GFI outlets seem to hate them, and trip within seconds of plugging in the light. I have a shared 20 amp non GFI protected circuit near the tank which runs the lights without trouble.

Do Gen 3 Radions work well generally with GFI outlets? I can have my electrician come back out and replace them if there is a preferred brand. Perhaps hospital grade GFIs would be better?

If needed, I can use the non protected circuit that I have for the radion and vortech power supplies - though I'd prefer to keep everything protected as best I can. Is that a better option than fighting with the GFI?

Last edited:
I would call Ecotech on Monday. They will usually send out a different ballast. They did for me when I had 2 that did the same thing.

side note- My family lives in Henderson. I visit them every Thanksgiving. Did you go to the new reef store in Summerlin?

Cool - think it's worth it? I could very easily use a non GFI outlet if the power supplies have a GFI built into them (do they?).

Also - I didn't know there was a new reef store in Summerlin! Details? :) I'd love to check them out!!

I was there in March and it was new. It looked like it was starting to get it's feet and settling in.

15231985815_e8ee370ca0_c.jpg

15045417598_4e1490ef14_c.jpg

Cool - think it's worth it? I could very easily use a non GFI outlet if the power supplies have a GFI built into them (do they?).

Also - I didn't know there was a new reef store in Summerlin! Details? :) I'd love to check them out!!

It is worth it to give them a call and ask about it. They are pretty helpful about it.

No. I'm plugging them in on a noj gfi outlet. I believe you can contact EM directly and get a different transformer that will work on gfi.

Back