Re-entering Marine Aquarium

pmw0813

When I lived in San Francisco, having a Marine tank seemed so easy. I am now in Arizona and want to setup a 150g tank and it seems that technology and environment make it more complicated. I dont expect you to answer all my question, but lets put it this way...I am a loyal customer once I am one.

I am probably going to buy a tank from Tenecor. They are local to me, and seem to be a good supplier. I am open to other suggestions

Heaters/Chiller - I am assuming that I will need one of each. In summer house goes from 78-90deg depending on time of day and occupancy. Winter from 60-68deg. Since 75 is the target...I will need to manage that. What do you recommend? If the chiller is in-line is it on the feed or return side? How does a controller fit into this?

Protien Skimmer - I used to have one in the sump, and it drew and returned the water to the sump. Does this still apply? Recommendations?

UV Sterilizer - I did not have one before, but with a tank this big seems to be a good idea. Again a stupid, question but it is in-line and if does 100% of the water pass through it, and where in line - in the feed or the return?

Water Top off - Is there is simple mechnical device like a toiler or pool autofill value that can be used to manage this?

Live Rock - I want to have it since it is more natural, but do I need a calcium injector (whatever that is?)

Basically - opinions are welcome, references to good resources would be great.

Thanks

Duder, love to have you post here, but if you are in scottsdale, you'll want to post in FRAG, which services the valley of the sun.

I'd repost this there. See my thoughts below..

am probably going to buy a tank from Tenecor. They are local to me, and seem to be a good supplier. I am open to other suggestions

sOUNDS GOOD

Heaters/Chiller - I am assuming that I will need one of each. In summer house goes from 78-90deg depending on time of day and occupancy. Winter from 60-68deg. Since 75 is the target...I will need to manage that. What do you recommend? If the chiller is in-line is it on the feed or return side? How does a controller fit into this?

YES, YOU'LL NEED BOTH--I DON'T HAVE CHILLER, CAN'T FURTHER COMMENT ON HOW TO SET IT UP.

Protien Skimmer - I used to have one in the sump, and it drew and returned the water to the sump. Does this still apply? Recommendations?

YES, SET UP YOUR SUMP WITH BAFFLES, PUT THE SKIMMER IN THERE. I HEAR LOTS OF GOOD THINGS ABOUT ASM G SERIES, BUT JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST TANK WITH A G-3, HAVEN'T SET IT UP YET.
THERE ARE MANY GOOD BRANDS.

UV Sterilizer - I did not have one before, but with a tank this big seems to be a good idea. Again a stupid, question but it is in-line and if does 100% of the water pass through it, and where in line - in the feed or the return?

MAY OR MAY NOT BE A GOOD IDEA. BETTER WOULD BE A STRICT QUARANTINE PROCEDURE TO KEEP DISEASE FROM BEING INTRODUCED.

Water Top off - Is there is simple mechnical device like a toiler or pool autofill value that can be used to manage this?

YES--MANY GOOD BRANDS, SPECTRAPURE MAKES A PRICEY BUT POPULAR ONE--LITERMETER III.

Live Rock - I want to have it since it is more natural, but do I need a calcium injector (whatever that is?)

NO, YOU DON'T NEED A CALCIUM INJECTOR. CALCIUM IS A COMPLICATED SUBJECT, GET MORE INFO., BUT MANY PEOPLE USE A 2 STEP ADDITIVE WITH CALCIUM AND ALKILINITY TO KEEP THOSE IN BALANCE. PURISTS USE KALKWASSER DISPENSED FROM A MACHINE.

AS I MENTIONED, REPOST TO FRAG, YOU'LL GET A ZILLION RESPONSES.

dl

Basically - opinions are welcome, references to good resources would be great.

Thanks

Back