Re-using salt (crazy idea)

Fiver

I have a crazy idea, but please hear me out. And please understand that my past actions and current proposal are not a judgment call on anyone here.

I ran a 33 long mini-reef for a number of years about 10 years ago, and took it down after learning a few things. I live in the Mississippi River watershed in a major city, and learned that all of the water that leaves my house ends back up in the river. I also learned that the world's freshwater supply is getting saltier every year, which has a lot of negative implications. It's such a problem that our city asks us to limit salt use on sidewalks during the winter, and asks us to sweep up unused salt when the ice thaws.

I checked with my city, and it does not desalinate waste water before it is returned to the Mississippi River. The reality is that few places desalinate water, because it's a highly expensive and complicated process. That meant my tank was dumping salt into the river, so I stopped reefing, even though it was a small tank and my individual contribution was just a drop in the bucket.

But I'm getting the itch to keep a low-maintenance reef tank again.

I've researched how to desalinate saltwater at home (boiling or baking until all water evaporates and only the salt and minerals remain). Some people do this to make their own sea salt for cooking.

I'm thinking that if I kept a smaller tank (15-20 gallons, or maybe even 10), a 10% weekly water change would be manageable and I could desalinate water at home to avoid contaminating the Mississippi River. If I did this, could I re-use the salt to mix water for my tank? Or would the salt and minerals somehow retain nitrates and ammonia?

Thank you for reading.

I assume you mean to dehydrate your water change water and reuse the salt. I see no way to separate the contaminants nor replenish what has been consumed by the tank. I think you would just be essentially undoing your water change each time.

I assume you mean to dehydrate your water change water and reuse the salt. I see no way to separate the contaminants nor replenish what has been consumed by the tank. I think you would just be essentially undoing your water change each time.
That's my thinking as well.

I agree with what’s been said, however, I see your concern, and it could be a thought just to run on your water change water and then recycle the salt for use on sidewalks in winter or dispose of in the trash.

So I'm no scientist or expert, but couldn't you use the filtering of the ground to delute the salt? I would think that would be better than directly introducing saltwater to the municiple sewer.

So I'm no scientist or expert, but couldn't you use the filtering of the ground to delute the salt? I would think that would be better than directly introducing saltwater to the municiple sewer.
Meaning that you could feel better about dumping the saltwater from a WC over the soil vs down the drain.

I agree as well. I think you would just be reintroducing things back into your system. Why not just stop water changes? I know it isn't everyone's approach, but there are plenty of successful reefs out there that don't perform water changes. I haven't performed a water change in eight months, and my corals look good. However, I also dose bleach and peroxide to the tank so take it for what it's worth.... ;)

Yes, that seems so obvious when I think about it now. Thank you!

I agree with what’s been said, however, I see your concern, and it could be a thought just to run on your water change water and then recycle the salt for use on sidewalks in winter or dispose of in the trash.
I think trashing the salt is likely the best option.

I agree as well. I think you would just be reintroducing things back into your system. Why not just stop water changes? I know it isn't everyone's approach, but there are plenty of successful reefs out there that don't perform water changes. I haven't performed a water change in eight months, and my corals look good. However, I also dose bleach and peroxide to the tank so take it for what it's worth.... ;)
I’ll look into that.

Can you share more about what you dose and how often, and what you keep?

Thank you.

As another option to consider, a method such a Reef Moonshiners may allow you to consider a no water change process by monitoring a wide range of elements and just supplementing the elements you need.

Back