Red Bug Treatment

malx

Can I use Interceptor Plus to treat red bugs or is only the regular Interceptor viable? I've been calling around vets in my area and they only carry the plus.

Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interceptor plus also has Praziquantel added to it. I wouldn't use it personally, although Prazi is known to be reef safe.

For red bugs I usually use Dr. G's coral dip (dosed into the DT). It is the same active ingredient as interceptor.

Interceptor plus also has Praziquantel added to it. I wouldn't use it personally, although Prazi is known to be reef safe.

For red bugs I usually use Dr. G's coral dip (dosed into the DT). It is the same active ingredient as interceptor.

Thanks. Can I dose Dr. G's directly into my tank with crabs, shrimp, snails, and clams?

I have treated my whole reef with the combination med. It is reef safe, but you lose feather dusters and some bristle worms in addition to your shrimps, crabs and copepod population. Your clam will be fine. It is painful at first, but in the long run if you have a mature tank with SPS and want to keep them healthy you need to treat the whole system. I recommend replacing a portion of the live rock after you are done. I don't have proof, but I think you lose some beneficial bacteria when you treat the whole system.

Ended up with diluting one whole large pill in 12 oz of water. I used 1ml per gallon. Dosed successfully, all bugs are dead, also pods are dead too. My emrald crabs lived and so did a small amount of baby nerite snails. I caught my shrimp and conch snails so not sure if those would have lived or died, but my fire shrimp did survive one treatment as I caught him while he was high as a kite after the first treatment.

Back