Red or Blue Legged Hermits

irisheyes

I am thinking about adding some Hermits to my reef. Are the Blue or the Red Legged Hermits recommended? I am having a Diatom Bloom. I hear both are heck on Snails. Are they recommended at all?

Thanks,
Sally

there are several species of hermits with blue or red legs. I have some crabs with blue legs that are small and don't seem to be very aggressive. I have some with red legs that are bigger and I caught one tearing apart a nassarius snail. that doesn't mean all blue legs are good and red is bad. I think the smaller the crab the less problems you will have whether it is blue or red imo.

I try to keep the snails and crabs apart one tanks has 100 red and blue legs and my other tank I have only snails. I find that the crabs will eventually gang up and kill all the snails for food or their shells. I got feed up always replacing snails it can get costly over time!
Be patient if it is a newer tank the Diatom and cyno will pass it just takes time.
I just finish a bout of diatom and cyno right after, just reduce feeding abit and let it run its course and it is all gone eventually.

If you are going to keep snails with hermits they will finally tag team and get snails no matter what kind you get but by far the best hermit is the Blue they do not get big and do not get aggressive now reds they get big and big attitudes follow and will move stuff inculeing corals and whatever is in way to get to where they want to get to

Back