Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit Inaccurate?

Chris918

Hey guys.

I purchased a Red Sea Reef Foundation kit that tests for Ca, Mg, and Alkalinity two weeks ago. My tank just finished its cycle and all the rock is cured and ready to go. All parameters are good and my specific gravity is 1.025-1.026 with a constant 78 degree temperature. This will be my first tank with corals. Before I dosed the BRS two part that I purchased, I of course wanted to see where these elements tested so I knew how much I should dose. To my surprise the levels seemed incredibly high. Here are the results:

Calcium: 480 ppm
Alkalinity: 13.4 dKH
Magnesium: 1240 ppm

I find this very strange because these elements don't just appear out of no where. The tank has no fish or inverts and I have never dosed the tank. I use Instant Ocean salt mix (not reef crystal version). The package says it comes with all the necessary elements for fish and inverts but this seems crazy. My pH is only 7.8. Unless I'm mistaken having a high alkalinity was supposed to maintain a higher pH? So I am a little lost. Is the test kit the issue? BRS suggested I check my LFS or use another test kit if available, but no one in my city does much of any saltwater and those who do are very inexperienced. I was able to check my alkalinity at petco and petsmart and got the same reading of 180 ppm or around 10 dKH at both. Does anyone have any explanation? One member suggested in another thread that maybe my refractometer needed calibrated since perhaps a very high salinity was contributing to the high alkalinity but I've tested using multiple tools and got the same 1.026 result.

Can anyone help? The lives of the animals and inverts are my top priority and I really want to create an optimal environment for them. This test kit has solid reviews, but I have seen some comments of them being inaccurate. Thanks so much for your time and replies.

nothing wrong with your numbers for IO AK I found when using it can vary Mag is usually low and Cal is random 350-450. I would say get a second test from a trusted LFS to get an idea most LFS use API so expect varying tests but they should be close. As far as PH goes 7.8 is perfectly fine for a cycling tank or really any tank thruout the night as ph typically floats down as photosynth stops happening
never go chasing numbers and always remember to go slow fast changes in water chemistry are worse than so-so numbers
also clean those vials with vinager that titration Red Sea uses is a pain and can throw off tests if you have any clear tape wrap or superglue the numbers on the syringe total pita when you look down and realise 4-7 have been wiped clean

Alright. I'll keep my eye on things and definitely tape the syringes because I have heard issues of the numbers wiping off as well. Thanks for the cleaning ideas to get the best results possible. I appreciate it.

The magnesium is notoriously wrong on the red sea kits. All others should be fine.

I see. I need a test kit that is completely accurate though. I don't feel like I should have to go out and buy a Magnesium kit and just take the hit when I spent 50 bucks to get an accurate reading for all three. I'll probably just return it. Any other kit you could recommend?

I use the Red Sea tests, no problems with them, once I found the right smartphone app to read the colors ....I am severely colorblind..
I have borrowed water from LFS after they test with a salifert test kit, always came real close to it..
You will go nuts trying to chase that exact number, it just needs to be close to it and hold stable..

The magnesium is notoriously wrong on the red sea kits. All others should be fine.

IT's only wrong on it's numbers if the instructions weren't properly followed. Mag test is kinda weird, but if you go back and read what the directions say I think you'll find the problem with it. This only applies for the Mag test of the Red Sea kit.

I too did the test wrong before I figured out what the problem was. LOL I'm not saying what it is but if you go read the directions again I'm sure you'll see it.

yeah, they are serious when they tell you to shake the vial for X seconds. It will throw it off if you stray from the instructions..

yeah, they are serious when they tell you to shake the vial for X seconds. It will throw it off if you stray from the instructions..

That is after each individual drop with the Mag test. I made the mistake of not really seeing what I was reading on the directions. Again it's VERY important to do the steps as stated.

IT's only wrong on it's numbers if the instructions weren't properly followed. Mag test is kinda weird, but if you go back and read what the directions say I think you'll find the problem with it. This only applies for the Mag test of the Red Sea kit.

I too did the test wrong before I figured out what the problem was. LOL I'm not saying what it is but if you go read the directions again I'm sure you'll see it.

I just follow the instructions on the card that came with it. Never bothered to open the little booklet, lol. Anyway, I use the Salifert mag and am happy with that. Still I'm happy I bought the Red Sea kit mainly due to packaging...plastic box (never falls apart like cardboard boxes), glass vials with the thing that holds the bottle and the syringe together while dripping...very handy. I use these for my Salifert Mag test and got rid of box and plastic vial. Everything now has ease of use and neatly stored.

it's only wrong on it's numbers if the instructions weren't properly followed. Mag test is kinda weird, but if you go back and read what the directions say i think you'll find the problem with it. This only applies for the mag test of the red sea kit.

I too did the test wrong before i figured out what the problem was. Lol i'm not saying what it is but if you go read the directions again i'm sure you'll see it.
+1

glass vials with the thing that holds the bottle and the syringe together while dripping...very handy. I use these for my Salifert Mag test and got rid of box and plastic vial. Everything now has ease of use and neatly stored.
Me too. I like the thing what holds the bottle and the syringe and used for my Salifert too

I see. I need a test kit that is completely accurate though. I don't feel like I should have to go out and buy a Magnesium kit and just take the hit when I spent 50 bucks to get an accurate reading for all three. I'll probably just return it. Any other kit you could recommend?

No test kit is completely accurate. Many are mostly accurate. Do a few searches in this forum about the accuracy of any of the test kits. You will see that there are varying degrees of accuracy in even the most expensive kits. Much of the inaccuracy comes from human error in doing the tests. For this reason I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Settle on which kits you use for which tests and begin to do it the same way every time. A search will lead to what most use for each test. i.e. many use the hannah checker for phosphates. This will help eliminate some of the inaccuracy.

2. Note what the numbers are for your tests and how your corals/fish are doing. This will help you learn the right numbers for your own tank, regardless of how "accurate" the test is.

3. Know when a test is not what you would expect. Repeat the test to make sure. (don't go adding a bunch of calcium for one low calcium reading)

This is one of those subtle places where years of experience really helps. the only way to get that experience is to do these tests over and over.

Also $50 is not that expensive for the tests we use when compared to lab grade tests and equipment.

Hope this helps.

Back