Red Sea Reefer 350 advice

ratherBreefing

I am looking to buy a Red Sea Reefer 350. Upgrading from a nano and it is the perfect size (47") for my space and what I can handle.
I wish to get advice from fellows who already own Red Sea's tanks or have experience.

1. Is it worth investing in to a brand new 350 ($1850), or wait for someone to sell a used one.
2. Is it better to get a custom tank (~80gal) and build it all (tank+stand+sump+plumbing) < $1850, is it possible?

Thank you so much.

I've always had tanks I sourced , so tank and stand is chosen based off my need.
Recently I downsized and setup a reefer 250. The simplicity of it is really nice and your good to go out the box. But if you feel the need to tinker or change things up it gets complicated with a kit tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wait for it used unless you're super particular with scratches. You'll find one with minimal scratches but never one without. I do love mine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red sea is your best bang for the buck. Definitely stay as far from crystal dynamics as possible. Reef savy and tankmeusa are very solid builds. Can customize to anything you want. You'll pay going this route.

I've always had tanks I sourced , so tank and stand is chosen based off my need.
Recently I downsized and setup a reefer 250. The simplicity of it is really nice and your good to go out the box. But if you feel the need to tinker or change things up it gets complicated with a kit tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks. I am not a tank geek so would probably work with whatever stock comes with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wait for it used unless you're super particular with scratches. You'll find one with minimal scratches but never one without. I do love mine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice. Hope to get a clean used one. Can you tell me what to look for when buying used?

One thing that I think is ridiculous about most tanks now days (including the one I'm in now), is rimless. I want a new tank just for the euro brace. Makes cleaning so much easier. If we have a good shaker way less water would splash out. Jumping fish dont need a screen. All and all the cleaning gets done a lot more cause I dont procrastinate clean cause I hate dealing with the water that wants to splash out.

Red sea is your best bang for the buck. Definitely stay as far from crystal dynamics as possible. Reef savy and tankmeusa are very solid builds. Can customize to anything you want. You'll pay going this route.
Thanks for the names. I think now I get it, originally I thought red sea is expensive but buying a cheaper glass box and adding customization would go higher it seems.

One thing that I think is ridiculous about most tanks now days (including the one I'm in now), is rimless. I want a new tank just for the euro brace. Makes cleaning so much easier. If we have a good shaker way less water would splash out. Jumping fish dont need a screen. All and all the cleaning gets done a lot more cause I dont procrastinate clean cause I hate dealing with the water that wants to splash out.
Good point. I do like the look of rimless. May be adding an acrylic edge around the top may work.

There's also water box which is a contender of red sea. Personally I'd rather pay more for American made. Or European. Elos is the dirrection I'd go if I was going big box.

I've had plenty of used Red Sea tanks. They are great plug and play tanks. If you are going the used route I'd recommend looking for one with a V3 sump since the design is better to accommodate a refuge. Make sure you check for chips on the corners, the silicone seals and plumbing for cracks as well. To be on the safe side and replace the O rings on the plumbing too. $12 well spent on Amazon.

If going new, Black Friday is around the corner so you should wait for the sales. The price won't change, but the LFS or websites will usually throw in a gift card or something extra to sweet the deal. You are in San Jose so go see if Neptune's can give you deal.

I've had plenty of used Red Sea tanks. They are great plug and play tanks. If you are going the used route I'd recommend looking for one with a V3 sump since the design is better to accommodate a refuge. Make sure you check for chips on the corners, the silicone seals and plumbing for cracks as well. To be on the safe side and replace the O rings on the plumbing too. $12 well spent on Amazon.

If going new, Black Friday is around the corner so you should wait for the sales. The price won't change, but the LFS or websites will usually throw in a gift card or something extra to sweet the deal. You are in San Jose so go see if Neptune's can give you deal.
I heard copper could also be an issue. Is there anyway to confirm other than trust seller?
I am going to check with Neptune.

I have gone the "NEW RS 350" route. I did not want to worry about possible problems due to the previous owner.

Yes, it costs more, but living above five condos below me, I wanted less possibility of leaks. I also wanted no scratches (I have already added a few myself), the new version of the sump, no old o-rings, etc.

So any problems that I will have are because of me. :)

Back