Reef Stocking

matthewb01

I'm working on a template that can be loosely used as a guide for stocking a reef tank. I'm basing my list on general levels of aggression and dietary requirements like pod eaters. This isn't for any specific aquarium. What do you guys think and what would you change about it?

1. Dartfish
  2. Cardinalfish
  3. Possum Wrasse
  4. Goby and Jawfish (Clown gobies reef caution)
  5. Chromis
  6. Blenny (Some blenny species reef caution)
  7. Basslet
  8. Dragonet and Pod Eating Gobies (make sure tank is established at this point)
  9. Flagtail Pipefish (Caution in reefs)
  10. Moorish Idol (Reef Caution, Add to very established reef before all aggressive fish )
  11. Rabbitfish (Some rabbitfish species reef caution)
  12. Butterflyfish (Reef Caution for a few exceptions such as Pyramid, Copperband, Longnose)
  13. Clownfish (skip if planning on aggressive and large species; should be added with damsels)
  14. Anthias
  15. Flasher and Fairy Wrasse
  16. Leopard Wrasse
  17. Tamarin Wrasse (Reef Caution)
  18. Halichoeres Wrasse (Reef Caution)
  19. Hogfish (Reef Caution, larger hogfish species should be added last)
  20. Hawkfish (Reef Caution, can eat smaller fish)
  21. Xanthichthys Triggers (Reef Caution)
  22. Genicanthus Angelfish (Reef Caution)
  23. Dwarf Angelfish (Reef Caution, may be aggressive to newer additions)
  24. Large Angelfish (Reef Caution for a few exceptions that can live with SPS corals)
  25. Surgeonfish (Add all at once)
  26. Cleaner Wrasse
  27. Dottyback (may be able to add orchid dottybacks earlier, most are aggressive)
  28. Large and aggressive Clownfish (maroon, tomato, clark's, etc)
  29. Damselfish (best to add after most fish, especially dascyllys)
  30. Pseudocheilinus Wrasse (may be bullied by established fish but best to add later due to aggression)
  31. Larger Wrasse and Tusk (Reef Caution, aggressive, caution may eat or kill other fish)
Note: try to add all wrasse's at the same time with the exception of extremely aggressive species which should be the last additions if additions at all.

Last edited:
I’m assuming that you are talking about just creating a general order for fish stocking. I personally wouldn’t worry about reef safe or not unless you’re specifically looking for stocking a reef tank.

I would also note that not all wrasses can mix (though I’m not certain on the species).

To start with individual personality will trump a species reputation. As fish become sexually mature aggression usually will increase so be ready to rehome fish. Many of the groups listed have species that should not be housed together. I'd suggest doing a web search for "reef fish compatability chart"

I’m assuming that you are talking about just creating a general order for fish stocking. I personally wouldn’t worry about reef safe or not unless you’re specifically looking for stocking a reef tank.

I would also note that not all wrasses can mix (though I’m not certain on the species).
For sure if I was adding a possum wrasse def wouldn't add any large wrasses like a bluehead.

To start with individual personality will trump a species reputation. As fish become sexually mature aggression usually will increase so be ready to rehome fish. Many of the groups listed have species that should not be housed together. I'd suggest doing a web search for "reef fish compatability chart"
True, that's why this is more of just an idea. Like if I was adding a hawkfish I def wouldn't add any small gobies. I am using the list I made loosely for my 120 build. I want a pink spotted watchman goby, heard they're a lot more territorial than most gobies so adding it later in the list. Same with midas blenny will be one of the later fish added.

Back