refugium

iansnakebite

i have an old 35L tropical fish tank with lighting is it worth turnig this in to a refugium and what would i need to do this? as i'm very new to the hobby
cheers.

i have a 180L tank with a eheim 2213 and a eheim 2215 canister filter one is mechanical other is biological priqm delux proteen skimmer, live sand and 13kg of live rock tank is about 2 months old how much would this 35L refugium help and what other equipment will i need?
cheers Ian

deffinitely do not go with the cpr overflow. GO with a lifereef overflow. lifereef.com

I never thought that a refugium would make a difference, now I wonder how I ever lived without it. My water parameters are right on the money and NO ALGAE PROBLEMS, cleaning of the glass and that is it.

:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6437669#post6437669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paulairduck
deffinitely do not go with the cpr overflow. GO with a lifereef overflow. lifereef.com

I never thought that a refugium would make a difference, now I wonder how I ever lived without it. My water parameters are right on the money and NO ALGAE PROBLEMS, cleaning of the glass and that is it.

:smokin:
just out of interest mate why is that?

one other thing as it will be a plain tank will i need to put in deviders and how will i determine how powerfull a return pump i will need?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6446623#post6446623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iansnakebite
just out of interest mate why is that?
The CPR overflows have to have a pump that has them keep there siphon. Without the pump the siphon would break and you would have a overflowing tank.
If the power ever goes out and the pump fails to turn on you have a flood. If the pump ever gets dirty or clogged and isnt working to the full benefit of the overflow, you will have a flood.

I look at it this way, why buy a product that has to use a pump to make it work properly? That there alone in my mind says something about the qay it was made.

The liferef overflows or U tube models are far safer and dont have problems unless you never clean them.
Thet wil not lose ther siphon after a power outtage, they work on siphon alone without a pump to help.
The only time I would consider a CPR overflow is if I have a large tank over 150 gallons, this is because these overflows atremade to handle alot of GPH thru them. The U tube designs can only handle so much.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6452368#post6452368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iansnakebite
one other thing as it will be a plain tank will i need to put in deviders and how will i determine how powerfull a return pump i will need?
Since this tank is going to be used for a refugium yes, I woud ad baffles or dividers. This will help slow the water down in the fuge and can stop micro bubbles.
You would only want at te very most 6 to 800 GPH going thru your fuge. I have 600 now in my 12 gallon fuge?sump and my Macro algae loves it.
I would get a pump rated for around the 1000 GPH range. You will also haveto consider the amount of water or GPH the overflow box can handle.
If your pump is say 1000GPH and once water gets to the main tank yuo have 800 GPH. Your overflow can only handle 600 GPH that leaves room for alot of water all over your floor. The overflow wouldnt be able to drain enough water fast enough and your tank will overflow, and your sump/fuge will drain and could burn up the pump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6457292#post6457292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iansnakebite
also is it ok for me to put my prizm delux skimmer in my refugium?
Yes but I would place it in a differnt chamber other than the one you aregoing to have macro algae in. I would place it before that.

The chaetomorph or Chaeto is the easiest to care for. You just put it in, turn the fuge light on, have some decent flow through it and sit back and watch it grow.

The other macros like Culerpa can go sexual and basically kill everything in your tank. It needs to be trimmed and has to be looked over carefully. Plus if it grows in you maintan good luck getting it out. It will attach to rock and you will have to scrub scrub scrub and hopefully it wont come back. The Chaeto is safe to be in the main tank. I find it is the easiet macro to have.
The shaving brush plant is also nice. It has the same requierments as the chaeto.
Here is where I get my Chaeto from, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8223&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT

these to macros don't actualy root themselves do they so does this mean i don't need to put live sand in my fugealso unfortunatly that bloke don't deliver to uk so will have to find someone closer

Back