Reminder! Tight tops make for a happy reefer

ReefWhatYouSow

Today I was lucky enough to be in the fish room as a fish attempted the great escape. I have three scissortail dart fish where two are always out at a time until feeding where all three come out. They also all live in the same hole under a rock.

My water shut off for feeding today and I hear a splash and then some flapping about in the floor in the corner of the room. I had to stretch around my ATO to grab whatever was flapping (cause I could see it) and luckily it wasn't my foxface : )

While I always knew that a fish can get out of any hole larger than it I assumed that the odds of a fish jumping out based on the placement of this small gap would be minimal to say the least. Now the odds of it happening with me in the room are even smaller.

I got lucky. Don't be lucky. Be prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you mentioned this. I JUST found my circus goby on the floor. Must have jumped right thru the egg crate top :-( screen top on order now!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Funny you mentioned this. I JUST found my circus goby on the floor. Must have jumped right thru the egg crate top :-( screen top on order now!

Still alive? I think I'll just lay a short 2x4 on that part of the tank unless I can find something clear. I prefer having the light hit there.

No, he was crispy. I wont buy a fish that tiny again tho. Probably a half inch long. And it was my fault he got out, i should of had a better top. Spent $50 on the lil guy and never seen it once. It wss always inside a rock.

Jumping fish

Jumping fish

I just replaced my 5"coris wrasse today with a 6", I left the cabinet door open 1/4 ". Came home from work found him on the floor.

Back