replace joint adhesive or just reseal?

tiffanymorgan22

I bought a used 120 gallon tank, sump, filters, basically all the equipment needed for a saltwater tank for $125... the only thing he didnt have was substrate and the fish. couldnt pass it up. guy said he bought it used, paid $600 for it. when he did his water test it was leaking and decided he didnt want deal with it.

i did a water test of my own to find the leaks and there were numerous spots on the bottom seam. im getting conflicting advice on whether or not to completely dismantle and reseal the joints.

if i should, what adhesive would should i go with. if i shouldnt, what sealant do you trust?

I’m not a leak fixer…but I believe as long as it’s aquarium safe silicone you’re good. My understanding, The key with rebuilds is making sure the glass is completely clean if old silicone first.

I believe many use momentive rtv 100 series or GE SCS1200 silicone for rebuilds but I could be wrong.

I’m not a leak fixer…but I believe as long as it’s aquarium safe silicone you’re good. My understanding, The key with rebuilds is making sure the glass is completely clean if old silicone first.

I believe many use momentive rtv 100 series or GE SCS1200 silicone for rebuilds but I could be wrong.
Thank you. Any idea if I should reseal the joints?

Many, many moons ago, I "inherited" my parents 200 gallon when they divorced. The silicone was pretty "chewed up" in many places. I simply removed the silicone on the inside of the joints and re-sealed with aquarium safe silicone. Granted, this tank was NOT leaking. So, that said, I agree with ironwill723, if it's leaking I think a complete removal/replacement of the silicone might be needed.

Back