Replacement skimmer pump for AquaC EV240

bureau_13

Next up in my quest to get my tank back into shape: Protein skimmer. I have an AquaC EV240 in the sump, and given my lack of available height under the tank, I don't think I'll be moving to something else. However, the Mag 18 that was driving it seems to be dead. I've pullled it and am trying to see if I can get it going again, but I'm pretty doubtful. So, I can get another one, or I can replace it with something else. Any advice here? I was running the Mag 18 as a submersible so that's likely what I will do again unless there's a good reason not to. Other than pump performance (AquaC said a Mag 12 or 18 for this skimmer, and the 18 definitely worked better) I would like it to not put a bunch of heat into the tank, and I would very much like it not to be loud.

Any thoughts on the Sicce Synchra Pro 1500 or ADV 5.5 compared to the Danner Mag 18? Anything else I should be looking at?

I haven’t used a Mag pump in years, but I remember them always being reliable and long lived. I have not used either of those models off Sicce, but have had good experience with other Sicces. So, I thing any of those choices would be good.

I was also looking at some DC pumps. The way I had the Mag 18, it's questionable if any of these other pumps would fit. So I may just get the same thing again, unless I can put the pump somewhere else in the sump. Selection Paralysis lol...

I was also looking at some DC pumps. The way I had the Mag 18, it's questionable if any of these other pumps would fit. So I may just get the same thing again, unless I can put the pump somewhere else in the sump. Selection Paralysis lol...
lol, I hear you. I have not personally used any DC skimmer/return pumps but I have had good luck with the Jebao powerheads.

ReefOctopus may be a consideration, four out of five stars. I'm going to give a VarioS 2s a try when my Sedra 3500 finally calls it quits.

Can't go wrong with Iwaki, but not sure if that will fit the bill.

Danner are awesome, but as you know, they will heat a tank.

Make sure you match the pressure (head) as well as flow rating of the mag 18.
I replaced the Mag dont remember which one drive pump on my Lifereef with a bigger Jebao pump. It has been reliable.

I use 2 Jebao pumps on the 240 and one on the Lifereef. I have 2 Sicce pumps on the sulfur reactors. The 180, 75 and manifold use Simplicity pumps from Premium Aquatics.
They all seem to be good pumps running long term.

Oh I was looking at those Simplicity pumps. Intriguing, but won't fit in the chamber with the skimmer. I have a too-small Mag 9.5 or something like that that I may experiment with in different locations.

Back