Research Paper

AR16

Hello All,

I am in college, and am doing a research paper on a topic of my choosing. I would love to do a paper on the effect of the aquarium industries on our reefs. I would be trying to represent the aquarium industry in this discussion. What I am planning to focus my paper on is how we can better promote the perfectly good farm raised fish and propagated corals that are available in the hobby. Any input about your thoughts on wild-caught versus farm raised, which you prefer, why, and if you would used a farm raised species in your tank if it was available.

Anyones thoughts would be great, I need to be able to know all sides of this discussion.

i dont remember the link but there was a thing on discovery channel that talked about how the aquarium trade was actually helping the ecosystem cause a group of people were farming all these corals in the ocean and propagating them. The increased attention caused them to flourish more than they would naturally even while still taking frags to sell into the trade.

i dont remember the link but there was a thing on discovery channel that talked about how the aquarium trade was actually helping the ecosystem cause a group of people were farming all these corals in the ocean and propagating them. The increased attention caused them to flourish more than they would naturally even while still taking frags to sell into the trade.

I belive that was an episode in the program the Wild Pacific. They were taking coral from the reef that was not doing so well or growing in a bad spot, they then would put them in coral racks..... Let them grow up in about 6 months, frag them and grow up colonies from the frags and place the coral back on the reef. Re-building the reef. Realy cool program.

Back