Responsible Stocking Options

shivvy

Are there any threads about possible stocking options per tank size?

I am building a 60 gallon "breeder": 36" x 20" x 19" w/ the foam rock corner on 2 walls and an island.

I have a mixed pair of percs already and I am trying to brainstorm what other possible options I have.

I am fairly new to the hobby started with a 14gallon nano so I haven't been around alot of large tanks to know enough about stocking rules. I am pretty knowledgeable and my tank took off well as I keep sps successfully.

I would like a small school of anthias possibly, I always like pygmy angels. I know there are a bunch of rules to stocking versus gallons but tank dimensions and rock lay out are just as important. Like yellow tang shouldn't be kept in under 90 gallon but in a perfect rock layout and tank dimensions it could have more swimming room in a small tank.

sorry this is long...any help for fish in a 60 gallon?

A good indicator for how many fish you can keep in your tank would be your nitrate & phosphate levels. As long as they read 0 with a good test kit you are alright. If they get out of hand, then you will probably develope algae problems. :)

yeah yeah, but I would like to plan though. I am sure a couple tangs wouldn't put my nitrate levels through the roof but that would be a horrible stocking decision.

pistol/goby pair
pair of perc
some anthias
maybe a candy red hogfish
I would love a harlequin tusk

I like coral beauty and flame angelfish but they are prone to nip at stony and soft corals, but I feel like I hear of people keeping them in their reef tanks.

I also would love a blue tang and they say minimum 70 gallons but my tank would have ALOT of open swimming room with my rock layout. I would have to say an adult blue tang would be WAY to big for even a 70 gallon.

Most anthias will out grow that tank. If you're dead set on anthias I would look into bartletts or evansi anthias, and stay away from squarebacks/lyre tails since they get fairly larger then the previous two I mentioned. Also I would only go 3 max.

The pistol/goby pair is a good decision. I had a pair in my 24 aquapod before and they were really fun to watch. A lot more fun then watching my dumb clown hover in it's frogspawn.

sweet, I like both of those Anthias you mentioned. I am not dead set on them, I think they look cool together.

I am just trying to make sure I don't overlap fish that aren't compatible and then stuck with 1 fish in this tank. I would like to max it out with fish and see some swimming action in the deep end of this tank.

Back