Return of the Jedi

drbronx

Premium Member
I have been out of the reef hobby for a number of years but have been contemplating setting up a smallish office and possibly a home tank. But first I figured I'd see if there is any reefing community left here since this hobby definitely benefits from mutual support and interest. First, a little history. I actually formed this forum, along with Nate R and Vince E many, many moons ago. We originally formed it since there was at that time a bunch of fellow reefers in the southern tier. Previously, we were part of Upstate Reef Society but most of them were located in the Northern tier and so we figured we had enough local reefers to break off and start our own forum. Furthermore, I had organized a project to build a 180 gallon reef display at the Ross park Zoo. There was a tremendous group effort and we were quite successful in designing and installing a reef tank on a shoestring budget with the help of supplies donated from aquatics companies and livestock donated from local reefers as well as ABC Reefs in Syracuse. the project thrived for about 7 years but due to budget and manpower issues at then zoo, the display was dismantled.
Anyway... I was wondering if there is anybody left from those days or other reefers still actively engaged in the hobby, holding frag swaps etc.

I’m still around here and there, definitely been quiet here for a few years… check back every so often but never really see much anymore.. I don’t have much left of my reef anymore but trying to get it back slowly, 17 year old gold maroon is the only old life I have anymore… would love to have more swap and such like before but never see anything local anymore

So I have located some folks. Everyone seems have migrated the Southern Tier Reef Club on Facebook. The new reef shop in Endicott seems to be a central hub for local reefers. they do appear to be knowledgeable and committed reefers.
I did go ahead and order an Innovative marine 50 gallon lagoon tank to be delivered around Xmas. I have dry rock cycling in the basement. So it appears I am back in the game!!!

Welcome back drbronx!!

return-of-the-mack.gif

Alright... Nate the Great...in da house! the dynamic duo rides again. Lets keep this going. Anyone else lurking out there.

I am cycling dry rock in a Brute container while I await delivery of an Innovative marine 50 gallon lagoon tank which should arrive shortly after xmas. perhaps I will do a set-up thread when I get around to putting it together.

Hello everyone,
I've also been out of the hobby for many years and my son surprised me by showing a deep interest in reefing, so I decided to check in and brush up with plans to set up a small reef for him. As was pointed out, I am also surprised to see that this forum is nowhere near as busy as what it used to be.... did everyone just leave the hobby? Also, what's the story with live rock? is it no longer being imported?

Back