Royal Gramma Care and Lifespan

Zionas

I'm definitely planning to add a Royal Gramma to my tank, but are they a demanding fish to keep? Are they hardy enough to go into new tanks? Any diseases I have to watch out for? For those of you who've kept them and / or are currently keeping them, how long do they live / have they lived for you? Would a Yellowtail Blue Damsel be too aggressive of a tank mate for a Royal Gramma?

Royal grammas are pretty hardy... trust me... I'm an expert at hardy livestock. My tank has deteriorated over the past couple of years to due demands of everyday life, and my Royal gramma is doing fine. Haha.

He might be a bit skiddish with the damsel -- if you haven't already put the damsel in, save it for later. They're boogers. But I've seen my Royal gramma bow up at another fish before, so they can stand their ground.

But don't use it as a tester fish... make sure your tank is cycled and parameters look good. If they do, then get one! They're very pretty fish. I've had mine for over 4 years, but I don't know what the lifespan is.

I have had mine for nine years and he was fully grown when I got him. In my view these are one of the hardiest fish in the sea. Mine is so adaptable and they eat pretty much anything. Every reef tank should have one.

Mine is 15 years old. Or should I say I've had him for 15? Don't know his birthday 🤔 Been in 3 tanks and survived a move as well. Eats anything offered.

Zionas, I guess you already installed your tank, how about a picture of your system?
I think royal gramma is a pretty strong fish, but don't forget the quarantine :spin3:

Lol not yet actually! Still trapped abroad unable to go home. I’m going to to go to the consulate of my country and ask whether I can go back, even if this means I will have to undergo QT lol.

Will definitely post pics once my system is installed!

Back