Russian Bureaucrats Kill $480K of aquarium fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOSCOW "” Thousands of tropical fish reportedly have died at a Russian airport after being held in customs for 15 hours in the summer heat.

The state RIA Novosti news agency says more that 4,000 fish worth $480,000 died in the Black Sea resort of Sochi after customs officials spent 15 hours clearing the cargo Saturday. The fish had been shipped from China and made a brief stop in India.

The fish were intended for Sochi Discovery World, Russia's largest oceanarium, which is slated to open this month.

RIA Novosti's report Tuesday quotes Oceanarium director Amin Azzam as saying the loss of the fish is an "atrocity unseen anywhere else in the world."

The $25 million oceanarium is part of the development before the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

link to story

4,000 fish worth $480,000, That's $120 a fish... Something smells fishy to me...

Not when most aquariums pay much more than us to get the larger specimens.....like all the show sizes....who wants to see a 4" koran angle in a 40,000 gallon display....

we had a huge annual budget for fish and this is not unusal.

Just my thoughts, do not want to start an aguement, just stated what I know.

Grant

Shouldnt there have been a bunch fo people waiting to pick up those fish insisting that their shipment recieve special notice and time was critical. Something must have been overlooked. Perhaps customs should have been informed before shipment arrived.

oops

oops

..did they not know ahead of time that 1/2 a million dollars worth of fish were going to need to be checked?:thumbdown

I would really have thought someone would have been waiting on these fish and call ahead. Either way what a shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back