Söchting Oxydator : Anyone have experience using one?

Not up to reading a 53 page thread. What’s the bottom line? What’s it supposed to do?
Found this (watch your speakers):

Also found this on a plant forum:

What makes the Oxydator unique?

The benefits of adding hydrogen peroxide to water have long been known. It keeps fish in good condition, prevents acute oxygen starvation, stops fungus from growing and halts the build-up of decaying matter which makes the water murky. But regulating the peroxide concentration has always been a problem until now! The Oxydator is a unique new design with a constant, controlled release, giving the exact amount needed at any time. It radically improves the water quality, giving all the benefits mentioned above. The key is a specially developed ceramic which breaks peroxide down completely into water and oxygen. But the Oxydator does not only provide a supply of fresh oxygen. Unlike ordinary aerators, it will not expel CO2, an important plant nutrient, from the tank. It also releases activated oxygen which detoxifies poisons, rendering them completely harmless. With an Oxydator you can keep many more fish in your tank and you do not have to change the water so often. The oxygen supply adjusts to the temperature of a populated pond or tank. An 8 °C increase doubles the amount produced. Approximately 20,000 liter of water will be 100% oxygen-saturated (156 g of oxygen) by 1 liter of 30% peroxide solution at 25 °C. The table below shows the quantities and consumption rates at 25 °C. A simple adjustment gives the figures at other temperatures. An average number of fish and plants is assumed for each volume. As a highly populated tank needs more oxygen, the next highest combination may be more appropriate. The Oxydator also provides economical, purifying activated oxygen for plant-free, highly populated aquaria where aerators satisfy the large oxygen demands.

Activated oxygen
I dislike magical explanations of things

It is my understanding that an Oxydator splits hydrogen peroxide with a catalyst at a controlled rate and they come in different sizes depending on the tank you want to use them in.
So H2O2 in an alkaline pH like a reef tank
  • H2O2+2e−⟶2OH− (in alkaline conditions)
The easiest answer is it does almost the same thing as ozone with safer chemicals and in a lesser quantity.
iu
Bad stuff oxidation, clear water.
For my large tank I chose ozone from a generator. I have a variable output generator on a ORP controller. ORP is oxidative reductive potential and is measured with an ORP probe.

The Oxydator would be a better choice for a small one. You would raise your ORP a different way.

I don't know how hard it is to keep one going. I think you simply refill it with hydrogen peroxide periodically. There are also different strengths of peroxide available that affect the output. From 3% to 30% if I remember correctly.
30% peroxide might be tricky stuff to handle. I don't know about that.

Amazon has

Hydrogen Peroxide 30% Reagent​

Harris 12% Concentrated Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide​

3% is the typical drug store stuff.

Back