Saying Hi

icy1155

Hello, figured I would stop in and say Hi... Im a college student down in Biddeford in the process of getting a 29 gal tank going... its not moving to fast cause of a limited budget (rent on a beach house is quite expensive :p ) but hopefully i should be able to stock it soon.

HI, glad you stopped by.
My first tank was a 29g, now I have a 30g. Not a big jump but at least I went one gallon bigger vs. smaller!.
Hope to see you around the board...and maybe at a meet!

megan

yeah, last year i had a 20 long tank but this will be my first real attempt at keeping any types of corals

Welcome!

Have fun with your tank... what type of corals are you planning to keep?

Keep an eye on this thread, you can find some great buys :)

You can also get info on upcoming SWAM events.. you just missed a tour of a GEORGOUS 300+g system in your neighborhood :(

TTYL
Denise

I was planning to go with some zooanthids, either a candycane or brain, a bubble, and a frogspawn. Im running a 55W 10k and a 55W actinic and I was told elsewhere on the forum that with that set up i should be able to handle any soft corals and LPS without to much difficulty. I would really like to try my hand at a clam but theres no way im gonna shell out the $$ for a MH right now tho.

Some clams are lower light lovers- you can actually keep one without MH- just has to be the right type, imo!

Welcome!

:D
Laurie

What type of clam do you think that i would be able to keep under my set up if i was to put it higher up on my rock so that its fairly high in the tank?

By the way... has anyone ever attempted to keep an upside down jellyfish ... I saw some of them in a tank at aquatic concepts and was wondering how difficult they are to keep... was something different so I was intersted

hmm sounds like they might be more of a pain than its worth... kinda seems like a species specific...just something that i hadnt seen before so i figured id ask

According to the below info, I would say if you have a low light situation go with a derasa, squamosa, or gigas. Hippo would prolly work as well. However, having said that, be sure you are using Kalkwasser or something like that for calcium needs.

Here's ME2003's notes from Barry's visit:

Acclimation.
Clams should be put in tanks with specifications within this range.
Temp 75-82 Higher temps causes more stress that in the lower range.
PH 8.0 to 8.4
Salinity 1.022 to 1.025 ( Parts per thousand is actually a better
way to define salinity. We had a disscusion on accuracy of equipment and measurements.)
The drip method is the best way to acclimate fish,SPS and clams.
Clams are usually hardy enough modify this slightly to add a
1/2 cup of your tank water every hour. Do not put water from the bag into your tank ( a little as possible ) Barry sends acclimation instructions out with the clams. Acclimating clams to light is very important. Reducing photoperiod or placeing lower in tank and raising are some ways to
adjust light until the clams acclimate.
Metal halides work best for clams although customer have had success with clams under PC or T5 -n shallow tanks (12-14 inches)
Derasa,squamosa, and gigas require less light than crocea and maxima. They use Ushio 10 k bulbs in their holding tanks.
Clams from easy to keep to most difficult
Derasa almost bullet proof
Squaosa
Gigas
Crocea Difficult high light.
Maxima Much more difficult
Small clams (~2 inches have a high mortality rate)
4 inch clams are a lot easier to keep.
Ultras and electric are the most vibrant colors.
Pinched mantle is a problem that was very prevalent
a couple of years ago. Not as many lately.
Fresh water dip ~25 min in RO water at the same temp
as tank. Shake the clam to get water to the area infected.
This is stressful and may kill the clam. There is a chapter in the book that discusses clam troubles.
It is a protozoan that causes this. They have not indentified it yet.

Giant Clams in the sea and the Aquarium James Fatherree
is a new book out and has a lot of information on clams and their care in the aquarium.
( Denise and a couple of other people bought a copy. Since I already have homework maybe they will do a book report review)
Clams Direct follows up on clam purchases and uses this information
to improve the quality of the clams shipped. (IMO this is a practice that all companies should follow. The mortality rate of fish, corals and clams is to high)

Disclaimer
These are my notes and may not accurately represent the presentation.

Derasa is the least fussy about lighting. Lower light requirements. Most are yellow with nice markings and grow quite fast as long as you dose with calcium. Kalkwasser is the easiet and cheapest (imo) way to dose calcium. It was the original calcium additive developed in Europe. Cheap and easy, two of my favorite needs in anything salt. Glad to meet you. Sue

Welcome! You have a few of us in your neck of the woods; Debdellac (Debby) lives in Hollis and I live in Saco. When your tank is ready I am sure I can come up with a "starter" coral for you. :) Cheers!

Back